Churches And Gravestones

I do the jokes on my threads, Pixie. :018:

Just kidding. :001:
:hugs:

1 Like

Oooh what are they called again? Gargoyles?

No, I think the gargoylles are usually higher up and have water spouts coming out of their mouths. They normally look groteque as well. The two blokes in the picture look more like royalty. :crown:

1 Like

I think you’re right

In the Abbey up the road from me, there are gargoyles. One fell off and was replaced with a replica of the monster from the Alien movies. It made the papers and folk came from all over to try and find it.

2 Likes

Now that’s what I call a Gargoyle. :023:

1 Like

That looks scary

1 Like

Twilight zone

I like the atmosphere of very old places particularly churches,where people have meeting together for centuries.
This is in a village I used to live,they’ve recently uncovered murals,a big surprise to everyone.

2 Likes

Well I’m the opposite. I love churches as well as little graveyards. There’s something really special about them. They have history of special events like weddings, funerals, baptisms, special services etc.,

Plus I find them architecturally pleading. They are beautiful…… to my eyes and spirit.

!

4 Likes

They are quite different from European churches, Bratti, but charming nonetheless.

1 Like

Beautiful pictures Bratti- our older churches kind of look similar

1 Like

Thanks @Harbal @Minx
I think there are many similarities between our countries. In history, we were after all, part of the British colonies. After a while those being persecuted for their religious beliefs sailed to the east coast of Canada which is why we have so much Scottish, Irish and British influence.
We have a lot of Gallic and Keltic influence where we live especially. The history is very interesting.

1 Like

My cousin is in Montreal and she says there are a lot of old Roman Catholic churches standing empty at the moment.

Covid changed a lot of things. Some churches, where we used to live 5 months ago, kept services going but most went online and actually there are some really nice online services.
I don’t normally go to church but I love ‘listening to enthusiastic choir singers at times.

There are many church goers who take their faith very seriously. I can’t see these churches staying empty for long.

1 Like

Mankind can really be savage & heartless

Not so much mankind, more the local gentry & landowners. This priest used to travel from Norfolk to London to minister to prostitutes. Which is what they used against him. But his downfall came as he supported locals against the landowners & that led to very dubious charges being brought against him.

1 Like

Interesting, but the local gentry and landowners are humans….
Humans equates to mankind
They were savage and heartless to him.

Ive taken many photos of Churches and graves over the years .
this is one I go to sit by .One of the oldest gravestones is a family of small children in the 1600s

P1010959

3 Likes