Christmas gifts for son and daughters in law?

I was just reading a discussion elsewhere and I’m gobsmacked!

Everyone thought it was perfectly normal to spend a lot more on your own child at Christmas than on their partner/husband/wife

I must be weird then, because as far as I was concerned, when they married, their chosen beloved became my child too!

And I spend equal amounts on them, or they get a “couple” gift if there’s something they want for the house or garden etc

I really can’t imagine turning up at Christmas with a wheel barrel full of expensive gifts for my own child and just a token gift for their husband or wife. How horrible!

So, what do you think?

I give my son`s around £100 in cash or gifts,i give my d/in-laws £30 and a bottle of perfume.
Everyone seems happy.
All my grandchildren get £30.

1 Like

I am totally with you on this Maree. My view exactly.

1 Like

My Daughter & Son in law Plus my Son & Daughter in law plus 4 Grandkids all get £100 each and they all get the same for their birthdays.

1 Like

My son and daughter and their partners get exactly the same . I do know other people who give their child a lot and the partner a token gift .

1 Like

I treat my daughters in law the same as I do my sons. They either get a couples gift or separate gifts to approximately the same value. I prefer to give gifts rather than money because I think it’s more personal.

1 Like

I always play it safe. My daughter gets her favourite wine, while my son in law has his choice of lager. Easy Xmas shopping for your truly. :clinking_glasses: :beer:

1 Like

I don’t get them anything anymore as they have everything they want .
I give my grandchildren £100 each they are teenagers and can spend it on what they want .

3 Likes

I treat them all equally. Same amount spent on all. I agree a daughter in law is a daughter, a son in law is a son.
I found it harder when my children were little. Even though the same amount of money was spent sometimes one child received more gifts…that was hard to explain and difficult for little ones to understand.

1 Like

A lot of people are faced with the same question each year. None of my daughters is married nor ever has been. So it may not be the same really. Nonetheless, we regard them as in-laws in the course of time. It will be special this year because my younger daughter will be bringing her new love for the first time and we won’t have seen him before. They’ve been together since August/September only.

As we did with my elder daughter’s partner, there won’t be a difference in the presents exchanged at Christmas but we also have been supporting them financially at Christmas and for their birthdays and that differed in the first year of their relationship. If their relationship lasts, the difference gradually disappears. This year I might even be prepared to give the partner of my elder daughter an extra bonus just for him because I was so moved to see what he has done for her under the circumstances. And I’m certain that he will really appreciate it.

1 Like

I haven’t given gifts for Birthdays and Christmas for years, I just bung a $50 note in a card, though my son in law gets Bunnings gift card.

However I am thinking that with inflation I might have to double that this Christmas. My grand kids get gifts but they are the only ones.

2 Likes

I find the best thing to give when ideas run out is gift cards, I usually go for Amazon unless they ask for Itunes or GooglePlay or something else.

This doesn’t work on the wife, however.

1 Like

Generally I prefer to give a universal gift card, no expiry date or T&Cs

1 Like