Christmas Gifts at Charity Shops afterwards

I volunteered in a charity shop for 14 years and when we reopened after Xmas we were inundated with unwanted Xmas gifts.

We used to get perfumes, make up, toilet bags, slippers, diaries, dressing gowns, clothes galore, calendars, dvds, books … you name it! All brand new. One time a woman came in with a big bag full of presents all still gift wrapped. We pointed out that she hadn’t opened them and she said “no need. People always buy me stuff I don’t want or don’t need so you are welcome to them.”

which suggests a number of questions?:

1. are the purchasers buying with love and knowledge of the reciever and his/her likes and dislikes?

2. are the purchasers buying at all or directing the task to minions?

3. Are the purchasers buying out of a duty to buy for those individuals rather than love?

whatever way the result is wasted money; waisted emotional returns BUT unknown pleasure from second recievers!

Well, at least someone’s getting some good out of them!

And people should be grateful that people buy them gifts, even if they don’t like them

It’s hard to know what to get some people, and if you’re picky it’s probably best to drop hints about the sort of thing you do like, or ask for donations to a favourite charity

Or simply tell people you’re not buying or expecting to receive gifts this year but you wish them a very Merry Christmas and to treat themselves to something nice

Most of the people who gave these gifts were probably hoping the receiver would like them and I think not opening them at all was rather mean spirited. And there might have been something valuable in there! :rofl:

Good time to go Christmas shopping is after Christmas. .
You get the same tat for less.

3 Likes

I always said it would be a cunning plan to tell the kids we celebrated Christmas a week after everyone else. Crackers, wrapping papers, toys, food……all reduced. You could do Christmas for half the price :rofl:

1 Like