Christine McVie Dead At 79

I am not familiar with this lady. I went to see Fleetwood Mac at the Belfry Golf Resort In 1969. It was when ‘Albatross’ was released.
She definitely wasn’t with them then, it was an all male band.

RIP Christine McVie

1 Like

A fit Bird, meant most respectfully.

Fleetwood Mac “Tango In The Night” (1987)

Everywhere

Writer: Christine McVie

:slightly_frowning_face:

2 Likes

I have that exact video on my YT playlist.

2 Likes

I must dig out “Rumours” my only Fleetwood Mac record. She had a nice voice and wasn’t as mad as Stevie Nicks

Sad that she has died, she was a great song writer and excellent singer. Of course the entire group was a mess by the time that they released Tusk (first digitally recorded album btw). I saw them at Wembley in 1980 and apart from Lindsey Buckingham they were a shambles. They came stage on very late, went off for an hour, and probably only played ten songs. Much later, watching a documentary on the band two things came clear - they were stoned out of their heads for many years and that aside Christine was a brilliant singer / song writer.
Favourite of her songs - either the chain or songbird.

1 Like

Fleetwood Mac (1975)

Over My Head

Rumours (1977)

The Chain

Writers: Lindsey Buckingham, Mick Fleetwood, Christine McVie, John McVie, Stevie Nicks

1 Like

Sad news, You Make Loving Fun. [1977]

1 Like

Writer: Christine McVie

I have to say that the lines:

And the songbirds are singing
Like they know the score

in “Songbird” has always jarred with me as the corniest lyrics ever written as if she couldn’t think of anything to rhyme with “before”.

There are undoubtedly worse lyrics and I love the song but there you go.

(I’ll leave Omah to post the video)

The meaning of songs is often obscure - Christine herself has said that she rarely understood Stevie’s lyrics - but this may be an explanation:

What is the meaning of the song “Songbird” by Fleetwood Mac?

Christine McVie wrote Songbird when Fleetwood Mac was recording the Rumours album. While there are different interpretations of the song’s meaning, going by what McVie has said, it’s about the members of the band who were going through hard times with longtime couples breaking up (Lindsey Buckingham and Stevie Nicks, and John and Christine McVie). The “songbirds" are the members of the band, and the song is about how much they mean to McVie, and the need for them to get along with each other and keep singing and playing together.

i.e. with a musical score … :musical_score:

The two lines about the band remaining stable may provide a contrast to the changes taking place in her personal life … but who knows … people read into it what they will … :neutral_face:

1 Like

That’s all very well but where’s the video?

Somewhere on the internet … I guess … :man_shrugging:

I would have thought you’d have it on your NAS - can’t you link it in … :017:

Of course I could but I wouldn’t want to spoil your fun…

Well, I wouldn’t want to spoil an opportunity for you to display your expertise … :man_shrugging:

1 Like

But I don’t need to, so here is the opportunity for you to add, what is it? your fourth, no… fifth clip in this thread. Go for it…

After you … :bowing_man:

Thanks Megalodon for posting that very interesting and informative link to the Fox article…
Even though Fleetwood Mac rate in my top five all time favourite groups (along with Dire Straits, ELO and Mike Oldfield) there were things I didn’t know about them until now.

I have always considered myself as a ‘Closet Drummer’ spending most of my adult life drumming to the beat on anything I could lay my hands on. I probably got it from my Dad who played drums for a dance band back in the 40’s and 50’s and I inherited his sticks and brushes. Mick Fleetwood was one of my heros and I used to admire his passion and enthusiasm.

I don’t listen to music much these days, but when I do, it will probably be Fleetwood Mac, and I’ll still be drumming along, the quality of their music is quite outstanding, and nothing these days compares with those old rockers…Get writing a few more songs Christine and I’ll be with you soon…Not too soon though…God Bless…xx

yes albatross probably their finest - all male and strongly blues lead guitar peter green who unfortunately became strong psychotic and left the band. it then developed a different focus with Christine and it was trad blues

BBC iPlayer is currently making available: