Charity activities as a way to motivate a better lifestyle

I am naturally lazy, I like to watch a film or some live sport. I like eating too and there are some very tasty things to eat out there. Kim is a good cook too and I make a half decent steak and onion pudding. We have a big garden but we are not mega engaged by digging or mowing so we have a ride on and a rotavator.

Happily my Father when he retired found himself on the board of the Friends of Essex Churches Trust and they along with the whole country run an event called Ride and Stride where people travel from church to church on foot or on bicycles. This is sponsored and funds raised go half to your local church and half to the Trust. The Trust give grants to Churches to do repairs particularly emergency repairs. Father used to go about 20-30 miles and visit about 10 churches. He decided to retire when he reached 70 and passed the baton to me.

There is a natural circuit where I live so for the last 13 years I have cycled 50 miles and visited 32 churches. To do that I had to do at least 3-4 weeks of cycling to get the fitness levels to a reasonable level. However I found that I started cycling earlier and earlier each year until I cycled most of the year. My weight also varies through the year in line with the level of training.

This year I thought I should think about stretching myself a bit more. I hatched a plan to cycle from home to my Father’s home church where I was brought up and Kim and I married. Then I thought why not visit the church he was baptised at and the church mother was baptised at and where they were married. Suddenly I had a ride of 75 miles.

This is quite a serious ride and as I did more each weekend I thought my natural weight loss through cycling wasn’t enough because this route has some hills and the event runs from 9-5 which with 2-4 minute stops at each church means I will need to do the ride in 6.5 hours. That will be a push for me. I thought I had better start a diet in the week and an eat normally at the weekend. I started that in the first week of August and I have now gone from a roundish 15 stone down to 13 stone 6 as of this morning. The event runs on the second Saturday in September that is this coming Saturday.

Now I have never seen the need for lycra or anything like that. I am still riding the bike I had when I was 12. Ok it has been rebuilt new wheels, new gears, and some other bits. I ride in a normal collared shirt, normal chinos a pair of leather shoes, and on the day I usually wear a tie as well, after all I am visiting churches.

You can see more here James Lepper is fundraising for Friends of Essex Churches Trust

I suppose my point is that doing something for charity setting yourself a goal that stretches you can be useful to keep you fitter and thinner even if you do like a good plateful of food and roast potatoes together with a semi couch potato lifestyle.

Anyone else had a similar experience?

3 Likes

Yes i and hubby did the cycle Ride and Stride some years ago for my Church , Had been a cyclist for some years then ,so it was not quite the Challenge you had …also Did a 24hr cycle Charity ride for Village funds , , my son and hubby also did a Heart Foundation Charity ride .

Good luck with your Ride and Stride :smiley:

2 Likes

So I completed my cycle ride and traveled 77 miles I had to alter the route a little as Google had decided some poor farmers track was a road. I got an added bonus of 7 miles and so I had to cut some of my route to cater for this. I was running out of time largely because each stop to sign in was taking closer to 4-5 minutes than 2-3. I think that is partly me chatting away, and partly slowing down walking from the gate to the church and then getting back up to speed.

Next year’s plan 100 miles add the extra to the route. Increase the average speed reduce number of churches visited to 20, only visit those close to the road edge get my weight down to sub 13 stone ideally 12 stone 7lbs so I can do the climbs a bit quicker. We live on the edge of the fens so hills mean a few feet to us. On the route I just did I climbed 1115 metres fortunately not in one go lot of downs as well.

As a mark of respect I was wearing a black tie a shirt with racehorses on it and Christmas socks. All worked well no discomfort from the saddle or from the bike slightly to my surprise.

Norfolk has a classic vehicle tour of churches.

1 Like

@Jlastsr well done James , a good days ride !

I have Donated :smiley:.

Hi Elisa,
That is so kind of you thank you. It will be much appreciated. You are an absolute star :slight_smile: :smiley:
James

Most Counties have a Historic Churches Trust or similar that get involved with the Ride and Stride event. It was started by Suffolk and was originally for walkers, cyclists, horse riders, and quite quickly adopted by other counties. Recently and very sensibly they have now introduced the Pedal and Drive for classic cars as well and I think that anyone who wants to do it should find a way to get about that suits them and then get some sponsorship.

I happened to find that I liked cycling despite a break of 25 years. It has also become a cracking way for me to get some exercise throughout the year with a clear goal at the end of it.