Changing a wall light switch

If ever I need electrical advice I always try the electrician forums - where they delight in not telling you anything. :mrgreen:

Watt?

http://www.electricalsafetyfirst.org.uk/find-an-electrician/periodic-inspection-explained/

Why on earth would Lindy need to refer to an Electrical Forum elsewhere when there is enough knowledge and experience on this forum to wire up a small town. I take note that there are several electricians in the autumn of their careers attending this forum - and a few cocky barstewards [like me] who although are not qualified electricians have learnt the trade from the university of life [and a few jolts up the elbow]…

If the worst comes to the worst and someone gets lost in the forest of information, we could nominate an Electrician to have the final call after weighing up all of the information and illustrations provided. This could also be done with Plumbers, Builders [it would give Tpin something to do now he has shed his business] Joiners and Mechanics…

Any undertakers on the forum?
:lol:

Especially if you are a plumber!

or a handyman?

Frog up.

It’s just that some individuals on this forum were whingeing about us offering advice, and were convinced that she’d electrocute herself if she did what we said.

So I thought they might be a little happier if I pointed her toward a forum populated by qualified electricians.

:023:

How droll, why don’t you play on the motorway.

If you do decide to have an Electrical Condition Report done Mups, be sure to get a reputable electrician in to do it for you. I carry out these reports for mortgage requirements and for rental properties and occasionally am asked to check over the reports issued by others. You’d be surprised at some of the items on these reports that state that certain items are dangerous when they are nothing of the sort - it’s their company’s way of trying to do drum up work.

For example, Lindy’s problem with her light-switch revealed that her lighting wiring was possibly at least forty years old and had no integral earth in the cable. This complied with the Electrical Regulations in force at the time when it was wired. Provided that the wiring hasn’t been compromised by having metal light-switches and fitting installed it is quite safe and merely merits a Requires improvement notification. Some firms/electricians will state that it’s dangerous when in fact it isn’t. All that’s needed in that case is a recommendation of having RCD protection installed and at the very least fit a warning label on the consumer unit (fuse box) stating which circuit hasn’t got the integral earth to warn of not fitting metal items to the circuit.

:023: Well said.

@Judd,

We see it all the time.
It’s amazing how many things get classed as a Cat1, when it should be a 2 or 3.
As you say, it’s a way of getting more work which is not in effect actually required.
It’s knowing who to trust, that’s the issue.

Of course, but how can you tell?

References are useful, but these are usually written by laymen who could well have been conned.

Also, as I understand it, membership of professional bodies may not guarantee a trustworthy person.

You can’t tell very easily mate, and that’s always the problem.
I have people / subbies / companies I totally trust that I could put Linda in contact with, but the electrical company I use are in Staines!

They would probably go if needed, but due to the distance would cost a lot more than a local company.

“Also, as I understand it, membership of professional bodies may not guarantee a trustworthy person.”

You’ve got that right. A large firm may be registered with NICEIC, ECA or other organisation and their employees and subbies are automatically counted as being registered when in fact they could be incompetent. I’ve seen work carried out by NICEIC electricians that’s downright dangerous.

As have I.

If you say part wind / 3 phase / star delta / contactor / relay to some so called “electricians”, they go blank and think you’re talking a foreign language.

:lol: Even I know what they mean (except for ‘part wind’) and I’m not qualified in any way!

I know mate.

It’s an eye opener re some “pro’s” out there!!