Car Insurance For My Car

Can someone advise me where to get the best deal, my son has told me to look online, he mentioned “ compare the market”…

Is insurance all done online now?

Please advise if you can,thanks.

2 Likes

Online is definitely best and cheapest but does require a bit of time and application.

Before going to comparethemarket, it will be useful to get a first quote so that you know what details you are required to supply to providers - for example, get one from Direct Line to get the feel for online applications:

1 Like

Thanks Omah, I will look on direct line now, but won’t commit until my son approves it,:+1:…appreciate your help.

Personally I use a local broker. I have looked online & never found a company that saves me money compared to what I am paying. The best I have found are companies that ask how much I am quoted, elsewhere & then undercut that by 1p. If I can prove the price I have claimed.

With my broker, I get 2 or sometimes 3 offers to consider each year. Or a letter to say the next best quote was X pounds. Phone us to sort out next year’s insurance before X date. So I am not tied in with a single company, or my broker. As unlike the big companies, my brokers do not just go ahead & take the money each year unless I say I want them too.

3 Likes

we are quite happy with LV. No problem when Sue was hit the daschcam showed who was at fault just sent a short video clip to them

1 Like

Thank you Gee, appreciate that advice, I will show my son this thread on thurs, he just doesn’t get the time to look for this information, that you guys are providing me with…:+1::+1:

:open_mouth::open_mouth::open_mouth:…I could have done with that dash cam 3 yrs ago when I had a car accident, it wasn’t my fault either, luckily I had witnesses, so the insurance paid up, i was only 3rd party, I wasn’t fully comp, so had to pay them a fee.

Thanks for that RS, will show my son this thread on thurs,:+1:

Very good picture quality that dash cam, what make is it?

Nextbase 312GW delux superceeded now by the 322 version @£109 plus halfords fitting charge there a two ways of powering it
1= via cigar lighter plug
2= hard wired into the fuse box
If hard wired that means getting the “piggy back” adapter kit. Then finding a fuse that only comes on when the ignition is on, I actually piggybacked onto the electric heated seat fuse.

Dead posh our car it has both front seats with 2 stage heated seats or off position
Don’t forget you will also need A micro SD memory card say of 32GB should do

1 Like

If you’re lucky enough to have a broker near you then yes they are worth a go.
Personally I use all the major comparison sites plus the direct insurers like Direct Line as Omah mentioned, because the comparison sites’ quotes vary from one to the other and there’s no saying who will be cheapest on any given day because of so many variables.

Comparethemarket, confused.com, gocompare and moneysupermarket are the bigger comparison sites.
I know that you don’t really need warning but before buying check that the cover suits your needs and doesn’t have any exclusions or added costs that don’t suit, and read the terms & conditions or at least reviews too.
The cheapest insurances are often the cheapest for a reason.

1 Like

Co-OP.im with . Not saying they the best but each year I ring up and ask them to discount the price and it is often compatible with others .

Enjoy your car

1 Like

Thank you everyone, will show this thread to my son on thurs, :+1:

1 Like

im guessing the other driver was blind thats shocking driving

I’m with Aviva. Have been for several years now. Since they stopped being on the compare sites, you have to go to their website. I always check out the compare sites though when my car insurance comes up for renewal.

1 Like

Thanks Percy, my son is going to be reading this thread on Thursday, so glad I asked, some great information.:+1:

My wife and I are fairly impressed with Hastings Direct. They simply do not renew a policy year upon year. Before they notify of a policy coming up for renewal, they have done their homework by trawling many insurers on our behalf and only then offering a renewal if the present insures is the lowest cost available. This year they swapped us over to another one saving us over £40 and they did all the necessary paperwork.

1 Like

For the last ten years I have used an insurance broker for my regular car. My other car, a ‘maybe one day classic’ is insured through the Owner’s Club as there is a really good discount. My house is also insured through the broker, ensuring a good deal each year. They telephone me about three weeks before the insurance expires, check that I still require insurance then after confirmation a few days later call me again with their quotes. All that is what you would have to do yourself with comparison websites. They also make sure there are no changes in the conditions of any new insurance quotation, again something you have to do for yourself with a comparison website. After acceptance, they then call me a couple of days before my insurance is due for renewal so that I can pay over the phone.

A couple of years the premium has reduced, not much probably by £5 or £10 but at least not increased. In the unfortunate event of any accident they do all the paperwork after a telephone conversation with me. They even deal with all the arrangements with the repairers. I feel it’s a very good way to insure both car and home as there’s no hassle at all and premiums are no more costly than the comparison websites.

Below is the insurance company I use, they seem to have branches in most areas, check their branch finder (not that distance matters these days) so probably worth a call:

1 Like

Try phoning some local brokers and unless you’re planning very long trips…ask for low mileage insurance.

1 Like

I have just taken out insurance with Aviva for the coming year via a comparison site (Compare the Market). They were not the cheapest, but I thought they were best for my needs. It was Aviva on line, but I ticked the box for a hard copy of the insurance booklet, terms and certificate which came yesterday. You can also telephone them - so it can’t be a completely on line service. Can’t fault them so far. House insurance is with them as well this year.

:+1: Thanks for letting me know that Aviva is back on the comparison sites.

Even though I check the sites before I renew with Aviva, I have yet to see a quote that comes within £5 or £10/yr of what Aviva normally quote me. Changing for such a small amount makes no sense to me so I’ve always renewed making sure I tell them I don’t want to autorenew in future.

1 Like

I seem to alternate between Aviva one year and somebody else the next for both home & car insurances so I might try them direct or by phone in the future to see if I find them the same, because they are certainly one of the better insurers out there both in my experience and from reviews.

1 Like