Life in a Northern Village is somewhat different to life darn Souf…
last school years were spent delivering morning and evening papers with the gazette on t
Thursday dinner times and then back to school.
Weekends were spent wandering around the countryside with catapult and a bag of sandwiches. Could never hit anything (except bottles) I hasten to add.
Left school at fifteen to become an apprentice mechanical engineer, money was scarce but it just managed to get me a table at the local snooker club and at seventeen a couple of pints in the local pub afterwards. The landlord was quite accommodating and as long as we didn’t cause trouble were allowed to drink there.
With money I saved I bought a brand new Honda 50 and together with a load of mates on various other machines (even scooters) we toured the east coast seaside resorts every weekend.
After passing my motorbike test I had my eye on a bigger motorbike (Vellocet) but Dad didn’t like the idea so lent me some money to buy my first mini (£60) I never looked back, and several mini’s were to follow, including this one…Mrs Fox…
Actually, that one came later at 21 in 1971.
Meanwhile, still at 18 the gang (I mention that loosely) visited many racing circuits and were constantly removing engines and rebuilding them. With some friends we set up a local motor club and would organise treasure hunts around the area. The think tank in the Royal Oak could sort out any problem with engines, cars, or even girlfriends…I had a few…
Sorry to hear that @Graham. Sometimes it’s nice to be able to forget…
So there were good things and not so good things happening in my teenage years - similar to many teenagers i think, I blame the hormones.
It was also exciting - first boyfriend, first job (at fifteen), first holiday abroad with my mates etc.
Earning my first little brown wage packet was amazing - i nearly went out and spent the lot (which wasn’t very much anyway) until i realized i had to give some to mum, for my ‘keep’!
Lots of good memories, but my happiest decade was in my 30’s.
My memories of being a teenager are all good apart from us girls being obsessed with getting rid of spots! Topex was a must! It didn’t work though.
Great music in the 80s, I was actually crazy about Duran Duran. I remember at school the girls were either Spandau Ballet fans or Duran Duran.
First crushes during those years, we also had a crush on the new P. E. teacher for a period of time. Who has never had a crush on a teacher?
I also remember when flared jeans became gradually replaced by drainpipes.
Perms were all the rage too, I had very long hair and I had two perms during those years, I recall.
Not forgetting those exams - CSEs, O levels, A levels!
I had had enough of studying by the time I reached 18, in 1985. I didn’t choose to go to university. Only a few weeks after finishing school I had already found a full time office job where I worked eventually for eight years.
Times have changed though, don’t tho k that would happen today.
YES. And Beyoned.
With more rapidity than remembering.
Where the Tea Caddy is.
A random remark can trigger a memory in detail from circa 60 years ago.
A classic in a general conversation.
Aboard a ship in the middle of the Indian Ocean
As simple and weird as.
Lt. Roy Fraser. One of many colleagues. Well past over the bar now. Said.
“Never Change Your Bet.”
I’ve never been one to place a bet.
But.
Open the refrigerator to see what falls out for dinner.
It’s always the First Item.
Using another always tends to be
A Disappointment.
No reason given. For having an “Addiction”
Oh yes, being a parent, changes everything! I used to smoke like a chimney and drink like a trooper, smoking was pretty much about socialising. I suppose I was lucky, smoking was a matter of choice, never addictive…
My teenage years were filled with being the middle child, but the responsible one in my family. Helping my dad with meals as mom worked second shift nurse at the Air Force Base in Tampa. Never missed a day of school, straight A student, and managed to fit in a social life, but never caused concern. Dances, eating at the local Drive-Ins with gal pals, cheerleader at school…
Only once got caught parking at night with my boyfriend (later my hubby) by police knocking on our fogged up windows!
Music, clothes, beer & weed is what I lived for in the late 60s, early 70s. Living at home on a farm in the Cotswolds, with four brothers, no mother, and a father going through second childhood. Worked/ran the farm shop evenings and weekends, earnt enough to finance things.
Blasting is somewhat expensive no matter where you enjoy your blasting. My oldish Marshal amps and speaker ‘stack’ and the necessary ancillaries would cost me a fortune to replace the whole kit at today’s prices
I can remember seeing some hefty stacks of Marshall amps in The Hammersmith Odeon back in the day. I think it was the valve amps that had the rawish kind of sound, not that I’m a musician.
As a cadet.
Who’s knowledge of anything musical.
Stalled at. Tinkling a “Triangle” now and again.
The “Tenor Drum” looked exciting.
Together with a friend we practiced how to “Swing”. Those drumsticks High above our heads.
Bouncing them off the drum twice!!
Without a sheet of music.
No sniggering, please.
[Not Actually the Nipper. But just as Talented]