Budget = £3000 extra per house. But

Ah!, let’s think about that!

If all of the ships, owned by British Companies, are currently registered abroad, then perhaps all of the taxes, charges, etc. are paid into the funds of the “abroad” places.

Encouraging them to register, in the UK, and pay the required costs of doing so, would bring at least some of that money home!

:uk:

2 Likes

Please explain how HMG will extract £3k annually from me a fully retired pensioner and also from my wife who like me is a fully retired pensioner, making a total of £6k from this married couple.

1 Like

Well there’s no extra £3,000 in this house, so I’m afraid he’ll have to cover my share and I’ll get it back to him when I can. :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Typical ruddy scaremongering Pix.

2 Likes

I notice in the budget it was all about middle earners and the poor. The rich get to sit back with no changes made, really…sickening.

3 Likes

Twas ever the case Pix.

1 Like

@LongDriver , " twas ever the case"!!
Why must this continue to be so ??
Donkeyman! :thinking::thinking:

1 Like

So long as people take notice of ill informed conclusion jumping before full facts are known, the trend to misinform by intention will continue.

1 Like

@LongDriver , Do you mean to say that companies like Amazon
and Virgin might chip in a donation or two ??
Donkeyman! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes::grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes::grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

What a comedian you are Donks and then some :grin:!!!

1 Like

Its the worst conservative budget in history - sending taxation to its highest levels for 70 years.

Someone please tell Boris Johnson he is leader of the Conservative party.

@Bread , Boris talks the talk ,
But he doesn’t walk the walk !!
Rishi just tries to copy him ?
Donkeyman! :-1::-1:

No, tax has nothing to do with where the boat is registered & everything to do with how & where the company is registered.

The flag a vessel sails under simply effects where the vessel is registered to & which countries legislation & enforcement that that vessel operates under.

In the 80’s for example. Radio Carolines ship the Ross Revenge. Her ownership was unknown & legally unprovable & her registration ran out whilst she was at sea & was never reapplied for. But because she was in international waters, very little could be done about that & I am not exaggerating to say whole books have been written about how the Ross Revenge operated, was registered & owned.

@Gee3 , l thought owners of ships had to pay tax to the country
they are registered in Gee3 ?
That’s why owners choose to register in banana republics , because their tax rates are usually much lower than a developed
country?
The same is true of companies too, Amazon and Virgin come
to mind ??
Donkeyman! :thinking::thinking:

1 Like

No, the ships registration is totally separate to the company. Hence, flags of convenience. Shipping companies often flag their vessels based upon the terms & conditions of registration & enforcement. Hence, the reason why most dodgy ships/owners normally fly the same flags.

There are two forms of ship registration. Open, is where a country allows a company in any country to register ship & Traditional is where the ships owner must be registered in that country. But even with traditional, that does not mean the company pays tax in that country.

Edited to add. To register a ship in the UK. After a long list of who can register a ship, the UK ships register says…

If none of the qualified owners are resident in the UK, a representative must be appointed who is either of the following:

• an individual resident in the UK

• a company incorporated in one of the EEA countries with a place of business in the UK

So just appoint a solicitor etc to act on your behalf & the criteria is met.

1 Like

@Gee3 ,Oooer l thought that woz wot l jest sed ?
Donkeyman ! :thinking::thinking:

As I understand it, in registering, you are signing up to a set of standards.

Those standards apply to the quality of the ship (enough lifeboats?), the training of the crew (do they speak English? Are they trained for the job?), the Safety standards, etc.

During my years, in the MN, I saw some amazing negligence from some without the above standards.

(By the way, there were plenty of ships, in the late 50s, which were registered on little Islands with small populations!)

Ever see a Tanker, going up the Gulf, with no-one on the Bridge?, ever see some of a crew without lifeboat training?

British Ships, in my experience, were very strong when it came to these standards - but having them would have been much more expensive than if you hired a “bunch” who had none!

Sadly, I think we needed to have a Titanic experience to make us toe the line, but the UK did it.

2 Likes

But there is no need to pay any UK, just employ a single person to represent you, that is all that is really required.

The budget this year has given us a 3.1% rise in our state pensions though.
Not a lot, but better than a poke in the eye with a wooden stick I suppose. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

According to the Telegraph.

The government broke an election promise & removed the triple lock, which means that although pensions will go up by 3.1% it will result in a loss of close to £2,500 per year, due to the real cost of inflation, which is estimated to be 4%. So 3.1% is in reality a cut in pensions.

The Telegraph reports.

Household costs have risen faster for pensioners than for the working population over the past decade, according to the Office for National Statistics, and are tipped to soar again this winter.

Ian Browne of Quilter, the wealth manager, said pensioners had been dealt a “huge blow” from the Government’s refusal to increase any social security payments, such as the winter fuel payment, the cold weather payment or the warm homes discount.

1 Like