Britain’s loneliest holiday cottage with no gas, electric, internet or TOILET goes on sale for £550,000

There’s no mains water or electricity, and the property can only be accessed by a four-wheel drive car.

The home is supplied by a rainwater harvesting system, meaning an eco-friendly ‘gravity shower’ has been installed, although there’s also access to a spring-fed well.

Those looking forward to a pint after a day of hauling in water by bucket are warned the nearest pub is more than four-and-a-half miles away by road.

Perhaps most challenging of all is the sawdust toilet, a composting loo that can also be found at Glastonbury Festival.

• that’s an awful lot of money for a nice view :astonished:
1 Like

I love that wood burning stove, I bet that heats the house up beautifully,…it looks like it’s near a cliff, surly that will end up in the sea one day.

I bet it sells…even without a flushing loo…it’s so solitary and peaceful.

Some people need that, it’s not something I would like , I like peace also living around people ,for some reason it makes me feel more secure, having neighbours around.

1 Like

Yes I like peace, with some people thrown in around the place too :joy:

I’m quite sure this cottage will sell, but its a heck of a price for what you get, in my opinion :astonished: Especially if you only get to use it a few weeks a year. Plus, as you say…it might end up falling into the sea at some point, so that would affect insurance.

Its gorgeous though :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

It looks well cared for, and the air must be so fresh, clean - and bracing!
It would take a special kind of personality to live like that all year round though - special, and knowledgeable too.
No good for a family with young children, I’d be scared they’d fall over the cliff!

I do love the coast though, and could watch the sea for hours.

1 Like

It does look lovely…I hope whoever buys it doesn’t “modify” it too much and lose the charm of it.

1 Like

Future owners will buy the location rather than the house and, once again, will confirm that real estate agents are right in saying that all that matters is location.

1 Like

A group of us used to rent a similar cottage for 2 weeks of VLF, LF & MF listening. We used wind & solar charging of batteries to operate radios overnight & had lovely long antennas up the side of the hill & wood framed loop antennas.

They were great times with no electrical noise & clear signals.

VLF = 3 to 30khz, it is where submarines operate & the wave length for a full sized antenna is up to 100 km. It is possible on these frequencies to hear lightning strikes. These make amazing sounds called whistlers, howlers & spherics. It is also possible to hear solar flares as their winds hit the earths atmosphere. But all of this needs clean bands with no man made electrical noise.

LF = This covers the Longwave broadcast band, so full sized antennas go from about 1000 meters up to about 10 km.

MF = Covers the Medium Wave broadcast band & covers about wavelengths (full antenna size) from around 100 meters to about 1000 meters.

A week there and I’d be homicidal!

Lovely view, although I prefer Cornwall to Devon.

But you can only reach it by car? How restrictive is that? And you can only reach the beach by car? I’d have to get in the car to go for swim, let alone the pub.

It’s not particularly nicely decorated inside, you’d have to deal with the sawdust toilet, what would you do with yourself all day? After you finished looking at the sea?

It’s so isolated it’s like the set of a horror film. What if you were taken ill or one of you, (probably me) went psycho like in the Shining and started chasing the other one around the house with an an axe?:axe::scream:

No, I like to be among the people and somewhere with a bit of buzz, have a laugh, watch a bit of telly, play on the Internet, go to the pub, flush the loo. That’s like a prison with a nice view!

1 Like

Ouch! that’s a bit harsh :joy: I would say its more like a brick tent with a shower facility :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

Might be good for someone like a writer, who doesn’t want interruptions?

Or an artist, or anyone desperately needing to escape the rat race or . . . . . . A " Wanted man" even. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

Mups bracing for me means cold no thanks :slight_smile:

1 Like

I can install a toilet for them. Just look.

Seat with a great view!!! :joy: :joy: :joy:

1 Like

I find this sort of thing fascinating, though I know very little about it.
MF and even LF I think I may have used in the past when we had ‘old-fashioned’ radios, though I’ve never seen aerials 100 yards long or more. Perhaps it is possible to pick up the signals with aerials of ‘fractional’ lengths?
VLF, of course, I think is probably beyond the means of most people. I assume that submarines can trail an aerial of great length for this purpose.

On receive antenna size (impedance) is not as critical as on transmit & yes smaller antennas are perfectly useable, rather than a fullwave antenna. Preferably we use fractions of a full wave, so 5/8th, 3/4, 1/2 or 1/4 wave, but smaller is also possible. For example, I use a small (1 foot/ 300mm,) loop antenna on Medium wave, as it gives me directivity, which not only peaks the signal I want, but also nulls any unwanted signals.

On the lower bands small antennas are very much the norm, as few of us have the space for huge multi kilometre long antennas.

A radio signals wavelength is measured by deviding the speed of a radio wave, which is 300,000 meters per second. By the kilohertz. So Radio 2 on 88 MHz has a wavelength of 3.409 meters. The old (pre 1978) radio 2 frequency on Long wave was 1500 meters or 200 khz.

The reason submarines use LF, is that LF penatrates water & thus it is an ideal spectrum for them & no, submarines do not trail an antenna wire, but Lockheed has plans for them to do so.

Currently, comms with a submarine is one way whilst submerged. To the sub. They need to put an antenna, above the surface to transmit. And all transmissions to subs are low bit rate. So probably slow Morse read by a black box, as that reduces mistakes.

1 Like

its the type of holiday i would enjoy

1 Like