Breezy Day in Cardiff Bay 21st March 2024

The Water Bus is coming in

1 Like

Looks busy in the bay Furry… :yawning_face:

1 Like

Cardiff docks is now a shadow of it’s former glory.I don’t find it interesting at all now.It was a very exciting place at one time even in the 60’s.

2 Likes

Not many about apart from Finland football fans

1 Like

I used to visit Goole Docks as a child. It was always bustling with life, big ships being unloaded and loaded…
My mam was a bus conductor on the Goole run, it took two and a half hours to do the round trip from Doncaster. During the school holidays mum would take me and a friend to Goole at ‘mates rates’ :face_with_hand_over_mouth: Drop us off and collect us two and a half hours later. It was so exciting in those days.
Now you can’t get within a mile of the place with customs and big security fencing all around…

2 Likes

When I was a kid the local paper used to advertise the arrival times of ships at Newport Docks.
Quite a crowd would turn up to see the ships docking.
Same here now…security mad.
Can’t get near.

2 Likes

My mother was a clippie too.But before my time. :grinning:

1 Like

Mum worked on the busses for around forty years Mr Smith, she only retired when the days of the clippie were numbered. She was asked if she would like to carry on working for the company and drive the busses. Because she was responsible for the cleanliness of her bus, she used to shunt them around the yard to the various cleaning stations so was quite used to driving a double decker. She said that had she been ten years younger, she would have gone for her test…This is her, stood in front of her favourite bus…

2 Likes

My mother was one during the war.One night they were on Caerphilly mountain and watched an air raid on Cardiff.When they came down from the top deck they found the bus full of sheep . Extra cleaning work for someone that night. :grinning:

2 Likes

Any port in a storm Mr Smith…
:smile:

2 Likes