Brazil moves to pave freeway through heart of Amazon rainforest

Researchers say the move will lead to the mass clearing of the rainforest, because most Amazon deforestation happens alongside roads where access is easier and the land is worth more.

• This breaks my heart…is nothing sacred anymore? :frowning_face:
2 Likes

I can’t bear to read it …heartbreaking.
Is there nothing mankind won’t ruin.

4 Likes

unbelievable that this is going to happen.

Why are they allowing this.

I too feel heartbroken pixie. The world already has enough wildlife nearing extinction without the deliberate acts of wildlife murder.
This news is devastating. I wish there was something we could do.

4 Likes

Perhaps Brazilians want the same advantages as the M1 offers pommies, ie quick, convenient travel. Doesn’t everyone? Or is it something only for Europeans?

Where’s Greta when she’s needed!

2 Likes

We all need to go Greta to save the world for our grandchildren and the generations to come.

3 Likes

Greta has gone back to school. I doubt you would see her in Brazil anyway…she might be fiesty, but she isn’t stupid. If anyone tried to stop this horrendous destruction, they would be killed without a moment’s thought.

1 Like

The Amazon jungle has been called the lungs of the planet. More than 20% of the oxygen we need to live, is here. Not to mention all the wildlife who will be displaced and killed as a result.

But hey, so long as people can get to the shops quicker, its all good, right?

2 Likes

Appalling … :090:

It depends … many millions Brazilians are living in squalor the poverty is appalling. I’ve visited Brazil it’s one countries I’d never want to go back to. Do they need homes clean water schools hospitals or motorways driven through the planets lungs . Hmmm

@Bruce , Perhaps Brazilians want their country to resemble australia ?
A huge desert with nice bits round the edges ??

2 Likes

So you think it their responsibility do you? Not your problem, except to criticise them for wanting what you have.

Brazil has already destroyed much of the Amazon rain forests already and it is now at a critical stage .

So much for protecting our planet and it’s wildlife. :rage:

@Octogen , Just wait till the rains stop and the amazon dries up ?
But thats ok because they are within their rights !!

I would rather have woodlands and nature, and have to walk everywhere to get things I might need. But when we all start dying from pollution and unclean air, just remember the pleasure you got from being able to fetch your last case of beer in double quick time :smiley:

1 Like

I agree.
It doesn’t matter to man how many other lives they destroy, as long as no.1 is alright.

1 Like