Bowel cancer screening - do you think it’s worth participating?

I’ve lost 3 friends to bowel cancer so have been doing the tests since I was 60

Well done, Tabs. Glad you got it sorted.

I got in a muddle and had to ring them today too.
I also had a very nice, helpful young lady who sorted me out quickly and easily.

Thanks Mups. Yes a huge relief! Unfortunately while the cancer has gone, the recent scans have shown something amiss with his kidneys. He is off to Guys today for an Ultrasound to see what’s going on there. I’m not having any more kids! :wink:

Very sad to say that my sons cancer has returned and in a “more aggressive form” The hospital is saying they may have to remove a Kidney before can even start Chemo again. If you have any symptoms and even if you don’t, be aware! and get tested if you can. Prevention is better than cure.

Excellent advice, EZ, am sorry to hear your son has further problems.

I sent for the test, completed it, returned it and am glad to say the results are clear. But if our lovely Mups had not put up this thread I might not have thought about it - so thanks Mups.

EZ, I’m so sad to hear about your son’s condition, it must be such a worrying time for you and your family. :frowning:

Thank you for your excellent advice, as you say prevention is better than cure. I hope everyone here will take that on board.

Sorry to hear about your son EZ, I hope he can beat it again. Send him our best wishes…

Ditto. All the best from me.

I have received this package, it’s in my bedside drawer unopened. I thought it was ugh, and didn’t want my wife to know I recieved it.
I do feel bad about the waste of money but I didn’t request it. I was 60 last year so possibly the reason I got it …

Do the test, Woodsman! They have made it easier to do, it only takes a minute - but that minute that could safe your life.

If in any doubt about it - just read through this thread!!

Sorry to hear about your son EZ I hope he and all the family are coping ok.

Wordsman take the test…dont hide it from your wife either its something we should all do.

Gives a whole new meaning to Pooh Sticks :slight_smile:

DO THE TEST Woodsman.

Why on earth wouldn’t you want your wife to know, Woodsman?
Were you afraid she would insist on your doing the test?
I think we are very lucky to be given the opportunity to have these free tests.

Sorry, but I think you are very wrong to refuse to do it.
These new ones are quick, simple, and very worthwhile, so get on with it man! :slight_smile:

Sorry , I didn’t see this , I don’t get notifications plus my log in seems to be very erratic. ( no log jokes ) : o : )
I didn’t want my lovely wife nagging me and she did in the end when this very subject came up with a mutual acquaintance.
I believe the tests are “timed” so that’s that plus I got a gp letter telling me they know I refused.
I binned that too , I only joined the gp after 20 years living here because of my jab ; so yes , cowardly but I don’t want to know .

Arrrrgh , Summer : o : ) : )
Poo sticks…

I read , some lady had blood and underwent a horrible experience , bits of her inside removed and it was all ok.

She may have had blood because of painkillers , well, I take these for a bad back after chainsawing wood.
Its easily found on the net , she had what I would consider an horrible experience…for nothing .

No one speaks to me on here , I cannot find any delete account , mods please assist if possible and do so . Many thanks. W.

I do. Had problems with it for decades. It needs to be taken seriously.

A word of warning when using the kit. Don’t do as I did, and hold the bottle over the sink when the poo stick is in the other. I realised too late the liquid inside was trickling out!

A phone call a morning or so later and a replacement kit was received within days. This time, I put the bottle, upright, into a small glass on the bathroom sink.

Just waiting for the result now.

I have a niece by marriage who still has her stoma because Covid prevented a reversal op. And someone from the allotment went through the same surgery, but his was eventually reversed.

A councillor at my old home town is now having chemo following breast cancer surgery.

My brother has had prostate cancer.

So I will do whatever tests are thrown at me, whether they are undignified, awkward, fiddly, time consuming. Whatever.

Why do you think that, Woodsman? I’ve found this forum to be of great help if someone asks for it.

As for bowel screening, yes, the test is a bit messy but you could wear rubber gloves while doing it. Both V and I have done it for the last 10 years or so and have been grateful for the opportunity to have the test done FOC. It’s a weight off our mind, so to speak, knowing that we are clear of at least one type of cancer.

How on earth can you say that when people have been replying to you? :confused: :confused: