Boris Johnson thanks Vladimir Putin for 'inspirational leadership' instead of Zelenskyy

Boris Johnson mistakenly thanked Russia’s Vladimir Putin for his “inspirational leadership” instead of Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy. The slip-up came during his first major contribution as a backbench MP since being ousted as prime minister.

In a general commons debate on the war in Ukraine, Mr Johnson said it is important to “double down in our defence of the Ukrainians” if Mr Putin doubles down on his “aggression”. As he listed the reasons why Ukraine’s counter-offensive is proving to be successful, though, he inadvertently thanked Mr Putin, before quickly correcting himself and thanking Mr Zelenskyy.

He said: "Thanks to the heroism of the Ukrainian armed forces, thanks in part to the weapons that we are proud to be offering, I congratulate my right honourable friend (James Heappey) on his description of the work of the UK armed forces, the weapons that we’re sending, the huge list…

“Thanks also, of course, to the inspirational leadership of Vladimir Putin.”

O-Oh … :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

2 Likes

The man is a complete fool, sometimes I wonder if he has drink or drug issues

Thankfully he’s not shaming us as PM any more

Unless we think he’s missing the limelight and this gaffe was deliberate?

1 Like

Slightly old news (it happened a week ago). But, yep, one cannot help but wonder it he meant it since wars are sometimes a pm’s finest hour and this arguably was his.

1 Like

He is an unbelievable buffoon. If this is the only alternative when Liz gets the boot, we are indeed doomed.

2 Likes

Maybe I’m a naive fool, but I’d kinda hoped that the pm woild be amongst the finest political minds that we have to offer. BJ and Truss? Is that really all that the majority party can muster?

2 Likes

At least he didn’t thank peppa pig lol

3 Likes

I know! Kind of scary, isn’t it. As for being naive or a fool, you certainly have no need to worry. One would hope that intelligence and good political acuity would be the minimum for being PM.

2 Likes

These people have had some of the (allegedly) finest education available to hone their sharp minds. How come it so often turns out that they end up being fur kwits?

2 Likes

The operative word here is allegedly. But you can’t make an ass into a race horse. As has been demonstrated so many times, public school does not always equate to intelligence or intellect.

2 Likes

Forgot to mention the main operative word was the funny (fur kwits).

1 Like

@Omah lts so easy to get your Vlods and your Vlad’s mixed up Omah ??
:+1::grin::+1:

1 Like