Boris Johnson says meeting with ex-KGB agent Alexander Lebedev was social event

Johnson lost most of his previous jobs due to lying.
Why the government thought making him prime minister would improve his Capacity to tell the truth is beyond me ….in fact it would seem the opposite occurred.
He has brought disgrace upon the tory party

2 Likes

Is all this because Boris is quite rightly making a comeback?
The BBC don’t really like Boris do they…

I just find it hard to believe some of the stuff that has gone on - the appointment of Evgeny Lebedev to the House of Lords was blatant cronyism and despite the security services expressing concern, everyone let Johnson get away with it.

The fact that the Govt allowed Russian oligarchs and their families to hold key positions in Britain worries me - owning newspapers, which can shape public thinking is bad enough - placing them in the heart of Westminster, giving them a vote in the Chamber where all our legislation is formed sounds crazy.

I’ve never liked this idea that, if Russians are rich enough, they can buy their way in to British citizenship and if they donate enough money to the Tories and have a pet politician in their pocket, they gain a lot of influence in UK - yet many of them have links to Putin, who can send his hitmen over to UK to poison his enemies and get away with it.

It’s a crazy world we are living in.

1 Like

It is not the BBC who is asking the PM to answer these questions.
They are just reporting it - it is being reported on other news outlets too.

It is being conducted by the House of Commons Liaison Committee.

The Liaison Committee is made up of Select Committee Chairs. It considers the overall work of select committees, promotes effective scrutiny of Government and chooses committee reports for debates. It questions the Prime Minister about policy, usually three times a year.

1 Like

Come on Boot, you don’t believe all that malarkey do you…Someone has been collecting this stuff on boris for years and waiting for the right time to light the fuse and the BBC are the willing to supply the charges…
Why now? Because the partygate story is wearing a bit thin and it looks like Boris might have a resurgence, so they have been saving this for the final nail in Boris’s coffin. Wake up Britain!

2 Likes

But it wasn’t BBC journalists who first uncovered the details about the meeting he is being questioned about.
It was journalists from Open Democracy - and yes, they have been investigating Johnson’s links with Lebedev for a while.

The reason it is being reported by the BBC and lots of other media outlets right now is because the Parliamentary Committee have been questioning Johnson about it.

I agree that media outlets often push their own agenda, or the agenda of the editor or owner (which is why I don’t like our British newspapers being owned by foreigners like Lebedev)
We all understand that newspapers will have biased editorials and opinion pieces but when it comes to reporting Facts, they should be fact-checked.
I think the BBC are more diligent than some other media outlets at fact-checking information.

What I do find weird is when folk don’t like the news a media outlet is reporting and they blame the media outlet for reporting it - even when it’s a factual piece of news that other media outlets are reporting!
What’s that phrase? - Don’t shoot the messenger!

1 Like

You don’t believe all that malarkey do you … :open_mouth:

It’s not just the BBC:

https://www.itv.com/news/2022-07-26/hes-hiding-something-johnson-attacked-over-explanation-of-lebedev-meeting

‘He’s hiding something’: Boris Johnson attacked over explanation of Lebedev meeting

Indeed it does … :+1:

https://committees.parliament.uk/committee/103/liaison-committee-commons/news/172512/publication-of-correspondence-from-prime-minister-boris-johnson-mp/

Publication of correspondence from Prime Minister, Boris Johnson MP

In response to questions at the last session of the Liaison Committee on July 6, the Prime Minister has written to the Chair of the Committee, Sir Bernard Jenkin MP, with additional information.

The Prime Minister responds to the following questions:

• Whether the OneWeb satellite system can be used for aircraft navigation (Q23, Angus Brendan MacNeil)
  • Whether the PM met with Alexander Lebedev on 28 April 2018 without officials, and whether officials were subsequently informed of the meeting (Q41 et seq, Dame Diana Johnson)
  • What proportion of visas under the homes for Ukraine scheme have been granted to women (Q53, Caroline Nokes)
  • What checks are made on the accommodation in which Ukrainian refugees are housed after they have been placed there (Q56, Caroline Nokes)
  • When the government plans to publish proposals to replace fuel duty that are reportedly delayed awaiting approval within Number 10 (Q95, Huw Merriman)
  • Whether the PM has been made aware of any other outstanding allegations of sexual impropriety by Ministers (Q158, Chris Bryant)
  • When the Government plans to publish the report of the investigation by the former Independent Adviser on Minster’s Interests into Rt Hon Mark Spencer MP (Q177, Chris Bryant).

It looks like The Evening Standard have got it in for Boris too because they have reported the same story

Remind me, who owns The Evening Standard?

I wonder why some are so keen to shift this dialogue away from Johnson’s dodgy relations with Russian oligarchs and move it onto how they think the BBC has an agenda? Strange as the beeb don’t need an agenda against Johnson - he is a walking catalogue of mistakes, lies and empty promises. You do not need an agenda to find evidence of Johnson’s failings. You just wake up and he provides you with another example. So no BBC agenda. Sorry to disappoint.

3 Likes

They all more or less sing from the same song sheet Omah…

You are, of course, entitled to believe that.

1 Like

Quote:

According to a 2021 report by the Media Reform Coalition, 90% of the UK-wide print media is owned and controlled by just three companies, Reach plc (formerly Trinity Mirror), News UK and DMG Media . This figure was up from 83% in 2019.

So, presumably, you’re postulating that “90% of the UK-wide print media” has an identical political/editorial slant … :question:

Yes Omah, I’m saying that they have a similar agenda and will be destroyed if they don’t do what they are told.

So, “90% of the UK-wide print media” ‘has got in in for’ BJ … :thinking:

Yes Omah, you included…

I am not part of “90% of the UK-wide print media” - I’m just a concerned citizen.

Johnson and the tory party have much to brush under the carpet when it comes to Russian oligarchs. Individual Tory MPs and the party itself have been recipients of much largesse from Russians. And that is after the Russian annexing of Crimea and even after the Russian invasion of Ukraine. The sanctions following 2014 annexing of Crimea have not hindered Russian oligarchs coming to London and increasing their fortunes through property investment. The Magnitsky Act in the US was belatedly followed in the UK by an amendment to the Criminal Finances Bill. This should have allowed the UK to take action against oligarchs but pretty much nothing was done until the Ukraine invasion this year. In short, the UK government appears to prefer taking money from Russians rather than acting effectively to address oligarch crime. And it is very clear, from Putin down to the individual oligarchs in his pocket, Russia is a crime based economy. To me, having anything to do with oligarchs, whether attending a party or accepting donations, is to give a nod and wink to Putin that all is fine, he can invade anywhere, the UK won’t make him or his cronies suffer.

https://www.itv.com/news/2022-07-27/minister-walks-out-mid-interview-after-being-asked-about-johnson-lebedev-meeting

A senior Cabinet minister has refused to answer questions about Boris Johnson’s meeting with an ex-KGB agent after the prime minister admitted meeting the Russian without officials while he was foreign secretary.

Business Secretary Kwasi Kwarteng refused to comment on the meeting when asked by ITV News and walked out mid-interview when pressed on the topic.

Political Correspondent Libby Wiener said Mr Johnson met a man “who was a former KGB agent, without officials, and he says as far as he’s aware nothing relating to government business was discussed” and asked: “Is that good enough?”

The business secretary said: “I don’t know about those details” but when the journalist asked for a direct response to Mr Johnson’s letter, the minister walked away.

It was a simple question … :man_shrugging: