Boris Johnson ally out of running for top NCA job amid cronyism row

Downing Street’s attempt to shoehorn Bernard Hogan-Howe into a plum job leading the National Crime Agency (NCA) has ended in failure as the former Metropolitan police chief has pulled out of the running amid a bitter cronyism row.

No 10 had the selection process restarted earlier this year after an expert panel failed to choose Lord Hogan-Howe, who became a vocal supporter of Boris Johnson after leaving the Met in 2017.

The job was re-advertised, and several sources have said Hogan-Howe decided not to apply again.

The saga will raise concerns about Downing Street’s conduct. While it does not have any formal role in filling the £223,000-a-year NCA post, Whitehall sources confirmed that it intervened in the original process.

Then a panel decided Graeme Biggar, the acting head of the NCA, and Neil Basu, the former head of counter-terrorism, were “appointable” but Hogan-Howe was not, a finding that surprised many in policing.

Downing Street’s intervention came very late in the original process. Biggar and Basu had held their “fireside” chats with the home secretary, Priti Patel, who officially makes the choice.

Basu was so outraged by the corruption of the process that he decided not to reapply. If chosen he would have been the first person from a minority ethnic background to get one of the top jobs in law enforcement

The debacle has strong echoes of the Johnson regime’s bungled attempt to get Paul Dacre installed as chair of the media regulator Ofcom. The former Daily Mail editor applied, was not selected by an expert panel, the process was scrapped and rerun, and Dacre decided to pull out.

Hogan-Howe was commissioner of the Met from 2011 to 2017, and is credited with quelling a civil war among top officers at Britain’s biggest force, and by people with being an effective leader.

But his candidacy to lead the NCA caused outrage among others because he was commissioner when the Met fell for claims from a lying fantasist about a supposed establishment paedophile ring. It led to the Met raiding the homes of the former home secretary Leon Brittan and the military hero Lord Bramall.

Johnson came to know Hogan-Howe while the former was mayor of London. In 2019 Hogan-Howe endorsed Johnson’s candidacy for Conservative leader. He described Johnson as “incredibly” effective and said: “I found him to be loyal, honourable and he did what he promised to do.”

Black Mark for BJ … :heavy_multiplication_x:

Hi

Yes, we all know about Boris, but when things obsessional it is not good.

There are many other interesting things going on.

1 Like

Name three which will divert me … :slightly_smiling_face:

Hi

The cost of living and why pensioners should get the full inflation rise when others won’t

The Newport chip factory and the Chinese.

Why none EU Immigration has gone so high after Brexit

1 Like

Many thanks … I’ll follow those up … :+1:

Hi

The Newport Chip Factory is the single most important thing to get us back into high end, profitable engineering.

The Newport chip factory.
Here was I thinking it must have something to do with McCains oven chips
Sorry :flushed: It’s the heat that’s got to me.