Boris Johnson accused of changing ministerial code to ‘save his skin’ - Lord Geidt quits

@wendeey …especially for you.

This is good. When leaders go head to head with accusations of lying.

They’re all the same …the art of lying,misdirection and brazening it out is, if not a prerequisite of the job, a definite career asset.

1 Like

Got any more … one “lie” does not a Johnson make … :man_shrugging:

You need at least a couple of dozen more from Sir Keir to make sure of exceeding BJ’s tally … :japanese_goblin:

2 Likes

But it’s not a contest is it?

Anyone who takes public office should be beyond reproach or suspicion. Squeaky clean.
And none of them are.
I sometimes wonder just how many, if any, are genuinely altruistic and sincerely intend to represent their constituency when they first become elected MPs … until the personal ambition and greed bug bites.

1 Like

How on earth did the “filthy” BJ get any public offices then? He’s soiled from head to toe!

Scandal erupted in June 1995 when a recording of a 1990 telephone conversation between Johnson and his friend Darius Guppy was made public. In the conversation, Guppy said that his criminal activities involving insurance fraud were being investigated by News of the World journalist Stuart Collier, and he asked Johnson to provide him with Collier’s private address, seeking to have the latter beaten to the extent of “a couple of black eyes and a cracked rib or something like that”. Johnson agreed to supply the information.

1 Like

But they all are … it’s the who you know and old school tie brigade.

Meself I’m at a loss who’d I have to replace him … from any political party.
Do you have anyone you’d support?

Not sure if she’s in the frame but Ann Widdecombe could be a good AND HONEST leader.

Basically he’s just a piece of low life, it’s a disgrace having someone like him as PM of our country

1 Like

Sign the petition to stop this nonsense!

1 Like

Signed … :white_check_mark:

1 Like

https://www.itv.com/news/2022-05-31/pms-ethics-chief-suggests-pm-may-have-broken-ministerial-code-with-fine

PM’s ethics chief suggests Johnson may have broken ministerial code with partygate fine

Lord Geidt said there was a “legitimate question” as to whether Boris Johnson had broken the ministerial code by being issued a fixed penalty notice.Credit: PA

Boris Johnson’s standard adviser has suggested the PM may have broken the ministerial code when he was fined by police for breaking coronavirus rules.

Lord Geidt has demanded a public explanation from Mr Johnson as to why he believes the code was not breached.

He appeared to threaten his resignation as an independent adviser if the PM did not explain why being issued a fixed penalty notice did not constitute a breach of the code.

He said: "In the case of the Fixed Penalty Notice recently issued to and paid by the Prime Minister, a legitimate question has arisen as to whether those facts alone might have constituted a breach of the overarching duty within the Ministerial Code of complying with the law.

“It may be that the prime minister considers that no such breach of his Ministerial Code has occurred. In that case, I believe a prime minister should respond accordingly, setting out his case in public.”

The PM responded, telling Lord Geidt that he’d “considered past precedents of ministers who have unwittingly breached regulations where there was no intent to break the law” and decided that neither him nor Chancellor Rishi Sunak had broken the code.

“I have been fully accountable to Parliament and the British people and rightly apologised for the mistake,” he said.

He claimed the ministerial code had not been broken because he’d “corrected the parliamentary record in relation to statements and I have followed the principles of leadership and accountability in doing so”.

He added: “In relation to the fixed penalty notice for my attendance in the Cabinet Room on June 19 2020, I believe that, taking account of all the circumstances, I did not breach the code.”

I smell burning again … :fire:

Very interesting thread…
All about brits lying, one can only imagine the gossip flying. Sitting back today and enjoying the read. And changing the rules to suit the need? Why, the very idea.

Thanks muchly for a smile or two.:slightly_smiling_face:

The camera always lies:

You can take 25 frames per second of Boris and capture one of him resembling a nazi or whoever that man in the picture is.

The “nazi or whoever that man in the picture is” is, in fact:

Benito Mussolini - Wikipedia

Benito Amilcare Andrea Mussolini (Italian: [beˈniːto aˈmilkare anˈdrɛːa mussoˈliːni];[1] 29 July 1883 – 28 April 1945) was an Italian politician and journalist who founded and led the National Fascist Party. He was Prime Minister of Italy from the March on Rome in 1922 until his deposition in 1943, and “Duce” of Italian Fascism from the establishment of the Italian Fasces of Combat in 1919 until his execution in 1945 by Italian partisans. As dictator of Italy and principal founder of fascism, Mussolini inspired and supported the international spread of fascist movements during the inter-war period.

Give him a fez and he could be Tommy Cooper.

On the one hand:

https://www.itv.com/news/2022-05-31/pms-ethics-chief-suggests-pm-may-have-broken-ministerial-code-with-fine

PM’s ethics chief suggests Johnson may have broken ministerial code with partygate fine

On the other hand:

Boris Johnson’s deputy has insisted the prime minister did not breach the ministerial code even though he was fined by police for attending a No 10 party in lockdown, as the government’s ethics chief reportedly threatened to quit over the scandal.

Dominic Raab, the deputy prime minister and justice secretary, said on Wednesday that Johnson had only “unintentionally” and “inadvertently” broken the law by attending a birthday gathering in No 10 during lockdown, which led to him being fined by police.

He said this did not amount to a breach of the ministerial code, despite the prime minister’s ethics chief, Lord Geidt, querying whether it had been.

Geidt’s future in the role is in doubt after he said it was a “legitimate” question whether Johnson had breached the code. In response, the prime minister made clear he did not believe the code had been broken.

The prime minister is still the only one who can give permission for an ethics inquiry, and he made clear on Tuesday his intention to block one into his own conduct over the fixed penalty notice.

BJ’s “accident” was part of his pattern of behavior which displayed an absolute disregard for the “COVID” laws that he introduced. Once is an accident, twice is coincidence; anything more is habitual … :man_shrugging:

If leaders of political parties have to resort to calling each other liars its because none of them have anything decent to debate in terms of policy.

Johnson simply has to go.

Only if he can be replaced by a proper Conservative Brexiteer such as Frost.

Johnson must go - irrespective of who were to replace him, preferably NONE of the government Front Bench and many of the Labour Front Bench.

On Tuesday, Lord Geidt appeared in front of the Commons Public Administration Committee

Boris Johnson’s ethics adviser says it is “reasonable” to suggest the prime minister may have breached the ministerial code after being fined for attending a lockdown party in No 10. Lord Geidt did not deny he considered resigning over Mr Johnson’s response to the fine by police.

Speaking to MPs, he said he was “glad” the PM had now addressed “things about which I was frustrated”. Lord Geidt discussed the recent changes to the code and other issues related to his role. The peer told the committee of MPs he believed he had “new powers” to initiate investigations of potential breaches of the code. Updated guidance on his role says he still has to “consult the prime minister who will normally give his consent” for an investigation. Previously, Lord Geidt had to wait until asked by the prime minister to start an investigation.

During the hearing, SNP MP Ronnie Cowan asked Lord Geidt if he would use his new powers to initiate an investigation into the prime minister’s fine.

Lord Geidt said he had never sought to open his own investigation into whether there were breaches of the code at parties in Downing Street during the pandemic. But he said Mr Johnson had been “in potential scope of the code” on several occasions, citing an investigation into the refurbishment of the prime minister’s flat, and senior civil servant Sue Gray’s report into lockdown-busting events.

Last month, in an annual report on ministers’ interests, Lord Geidt there was a “legitimate question” over whether the PM’s fine amounted to a breach of the code. Mr Johnson responded in a letter, insisting “there was no intent to break the regulations” and “I did not breach the code”. Lord Geidt said he had asked the prime minister “to speak up for his own conduct” and was satisfied he had done so in the letter.

One committee member, Labour MP John McDonnell, suggested to Lord Geidt that his role as the PM’s adviser was “little more than a tin of whitewash”.

In reply, Lord Geidt said “how can I defeat the impression that you are suggesting of a cosy, insufficiently independent relationship? It is very hard.”

And Lord Geidt conceded that his role was not truly independent, saying, “I am asset of the prime minister” rather than a “free-orbiting adviser with a different source of authority”.

‘Lord Geidt’s role as the PM’s adviser was “little more than a tin of whitewash”.’ … :laughing:

1 Like