Bodium Castle in Kent

I took about 26 video clips in total and cut it down to just 6 as shown. First real effort with new camcorder handheld away from home. Got there fairly early to avoid the crowds that were there as we came away

1 Like

What a lovely old place, Speedy. I’ve never heard of it.
The only bit I wasn’t keen on was when you kept walking along the narrow bridge. It seemed to make the view a little unsteady IMO.

Looks like it was a lovely day for a visit. Were you allowed to go inside the castle, too?

I am not to steady with it walking , Oh that was the inside in the last two clips, It was destroyed way back was it when Oliver Cromwell ordered the destrustion of all castles. So with this one all that remains are the outer walls. Thought seeing how much was gutted was worth showing. Lot of other Castles around here are even in a poorer state
This is my first effort with the new Panasonic HC-X1500 camcorder hand held. Not professional by any means but I was quite pleased considering No jerky panning around as had with the Sony camcorder I got rid of now at least it is smooth. the new microphone works well with the stereo

Looks like a lovely place, thought it was in Sussex though maybe I’m mistaken.

Just my opinion, and I am no expert, but I would have the video start with more of a castle shot and put the title there.

It looks like you are trying to frame for a photo a lot too rather than thinking about the narrative of the video. Having seen you are into photos a lot this could old habits dying hard.

Is it me, but I saw you mention in another post about the microphone, but there is a bit of hiss on it, but that may just be my speakers.

Beautiful image quality though.

Just my two cents.

I always thought it was in Sussex too. :thinking:

I thought Kent but you may be right

No hiss on the microphone this I did check in the garden beforehand then turned the speakers up nearly full. The garden is as quiet as the grave around here. I wanted to give an idea of the settings the castle was in first. Putting the title over the castle would partially hide it. As I said first effort but maybe putting the microphone on the handle not on the camcorder is worth trying as it will be further away

Looks a lovely old place RS, and videoing it really captures the atmosphere. I’d heard of it but wouldn’t have been able to say for sure where it was. Is it an English Heritage site?

@realspeed - great video - lovely place. I’m trying to imagine what it must have been like to live there.

National trust site

1 Like

You’re right Mags. I looked it up because I had no idea, and apparently it is East Sussex.

Can I ask you all about the video, was the fade in and out at the start/end of each clip and the slight delay between OK? Just want to make sure , do more clips need a heading for explaination and shorter or longer clips? your thoughts please to help me get it right
Serious replies only. Thank you

how I edited
Having done my first video with the new camcorder of Bodium Castle It came time to think about editing and how to go about it . So first of all I downloaed all 26 clips onto the computer.

next was to weed out those that were no good or forgot to turn off recording. Iwould have logically thought to edit in the order taken but no the remaining ones needed shuffling about.

That sorted now to be cruel and really put on one side that were not really needed. That bought the number down to just 6. all clips put into a file on back up drives

From there opened up Adobe premier elements 2020 version and dragged onto this editing suite the chosen 6. I examined each clip in turn and deleted part of the clip if necessary as being too long

Having done this to all clips that were now on the same video and audio editing bars came the time to add fade in/out to each one then reduce the time gap between each clip.
also added on another video bar the words which then automaticaly get added to the video

sample only to get to this stage( not as per video)

Now ready for export to youtube. after closing gaps ( or dragged close together) as shown on dropdown

I’m going to sound awful picky. :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

First … I love it. I really do … especially near the end when you’re within the ruined walls and are panning around.

Do you mind feedback? You did ask.
I played it at half speed (0.5) … Bodiam Castle (Bodiam, not Bodium) … which gave in an aura of timelessness of bygone days … and so if people were caught in frame they were waking slow too, as if in a time warp, ghostly spectres imposed on the past which added to the atmosphere of chivalry and sieges and of a time warp.

The fade out/in between clips was fine, just about right, except for the end. It was a little abrupt. Does you editing program have different effects? It would look great fading out to nothing or down a tunnel… or with some credits scrolling up naming the Director and Producer … You.

And finally … I cheated and watched it with Clannad’s Harry’s Game playing to it …

Honestly, it was a pleasure to watch.

thank you Morticia for feed back.

Yes I did make a couple of mistakes as you have noticed in name and county.
I don’t understand why playing it back at half speed but that is your choice. If you want to do that then split the video and sound track, slow down the video to half speed then reattach the sound track

Doing different effect for an ending on this editing suite a long fade out yes and possibly some others, but for different endings I would have to look at 2 other editing suites I have first to see what they offer. One can easily over do an ending and take away the video content

One thing that really annoys me is (but sometimes needed ) is covering up the original sound track. A lot of making a video should includes the original sound. Making this one I had to redo a couple of times because people were watching me and standing more or less right behind me yacking in loud voices. Of course the microphone was on stereo so picked up there conversation. so I stopped videoing looked at them and they moved on. the look I gave was enough.
This camcorder can record in slow motion but without sound and in a different format. However it is so easy to forget to go back to the original format and setting previously used it is not worth it.
Rolling scroll I could do at the /beginningor end but too lazy to do it.

Hope this goes some way to answer you. constructive comments are always helpful

you might like to listen to a disk called " Paint the Sky with Stars" by Anya as it I think your kind of music

Link
https://www.google.com/search?sa=X&biw=1244&bih=798&sxsrf=ALiCzsYNxn4mAzwRpG0htottgmqEEbb8WQ:1651536089018&q=enya+china+roses&stick=H4sIAAAAAAAAAONgFuLSz9U3MMywiDcpVOLVT9c3NEyJNzcvybFM0hLNTrbSzy0tzkzWT8xJKs21Ks7PSy9exCqQmleZqJCckZmXqFCUX5xaPIGNEQAJYWK2SgAAAA

I really rate her music