Bloody Elk Photographer's Close Encounter

https://fb.watch/cPVH4Nwgez/
Lucky that he eventually got away and retrieved his camera equipment. Staying in his vehicle would have been the safest option. He must have seen it approaching.

I suspect people tend to think that wild animals are all pets. You see people approach kangaroos in the same way, male kangaroos are big, muscular animals that could disembowel you in an instant if they so minded.

What a bunch of annoying humans !

2 Likes

On rare occasions the animals fight back which has been the case in Yellowstone National Park and their bison herds. While these gentle giants look docile, they can be more deadly than sharks when threatened.

Problem a lot worse than you can imagine for wildlife.

Unbelievable! People can be total idiots - what do they honestly think will happen? They’re wild animals, for Pete’s sake. The clue is in the term. :102:

That didn’t look like an aggressive encounter to me. I think the stag was looking for a shag, more than a fight. Perhaps that was the elk version of chatting up. :thinking:

1 Like

With those antlers that would make eyes water. :rofl:

1 Like

Yes, but lady elks might like that sort of thing, even if it doesn’t appeal to you, or photographers. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I agree Harbal, that was not an angry elk.

1 Like

Specsavers gentlemen ?

Have you seen two male elks fighting their territory Muddy?
They would make that little exchange look like a kids party.

Have you seen male elks being rough with their hinds ?
No nor have I .

1 Like

I had an Elk burger in Sweden a few years ago it was quite tasty. I don’t know if it was male or female but it was definitely an ex Elk.

I think they put the elk down on purpose to set an example, and then made a trumped up excuse. Disgusting behaviour.

Really OGF, setting an example by giving those caught feeding them a hefty fine might just work. Imprisonment just might work. A legal disclaimer from national parks to say people are risking injury or death if they fail to observe the guidelines might just get their full attention.

The onus should be on people… they are supposed to be the superior species after all.

I agree Cinders, but there was no need to destroy the animal, after all, it is a wild animal and doesn’t read the same rule book as us humans. If some bloke wants to photograph a wild animal, on his own head be it. I don’t see anyone pointing the finger at David Attenborough, and he’s made a career out of it.

The risk was too great, the animal was unpredictable. It’s death was necessary to protect the ignorant public, who are the real danger.