Blackberry Season

Just uproot it in its entirety? Hmm, I’ll think about that. On the plus side, the tiny fruits are turning purple-ish now so…we’ll see! :smiley:

1 Like

Instead you could heavily mulch it in spring after the ground has been wet or watered, but not close to the stems or it might rot the plant.

1 Like

I wasn’t aware of how much water a blackberry bush required, and this is my first growing season here at this place…so wasn’t clear on the soil type etc. All I saw was Blackberry bush and immediately thought of jam and pie :joy: anyway…it has wild roses in amongst it so I’ll have to think about them too…don’t want to ruin them :rose:

2 Likes

I see it’s a thing. It’s nice to see that the dratted stuff can come in useful because it’s certainly incredibly strong when you catch your foot in it. So - do you have a “handy-dandy” dog comb?

2 Likes

I didn’t think they needed too much water as it seems to burrow deep and get to groundwater somewhere. Wild blackberries made a delish topping for a recent trifle & this was after the most prolonged dry spell.

2 Likes

Darn it! No I don’t…I knew I was going wrong somewhere and making my life difficult! :smiley: I need to comb my cordage :+1:

3 Likes

Is it a wild bush? If so the fruit won’t be very big on some of the bushes.

Went out and picked 2 1/4 lbs , lot better than expected, the rain must have helped earlier in the week, still plenty to ripen as well, another storm wouldn’t go amiss.

1 Like

Well well well…lookit this! Seems as if my blackberries are on the turn! :+1:

I ate the black one. It was thrilling! :star2:

It was also bitter… :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

It probably wasn’t ripe enough.

1 Like

I don’t think it was either, Logan…but the sweet taste of success however…more than made up for it! :smiley: There’s more to come hopefully! :+1:

2 Likes

Never tasted a bitter blackberry to be honest, stick with it… plenty of sugar and spice should do the trick.

1 Like

Oh no…I want the taste of wild blackberries, for good or for bad. I’m not covering up their juicy goodness with sugar & spice. :018:

Gin, maybe… :joy:

2 Likes

At risk of going (slightly) off topic this stuff is lovely!
I’m still trying to get my head around the spices involved.
I suppose it’s a secret recipe.

1 Like

Yes there’s a lot more of them from the picture Pixieknuckles.

1 Like

Ripening oh so painfully slowly :roll_eyes:

1 Like

A watched pot and all that :wink:

1 Like

sigh

I know, I know…but Winter is coming and I need to stock up :scream:

1 Like

I suppose you could pick and freeze them as they ripen.
The blackberry season is all but over down here I’ve never seen anything like it before, it’s still only August!

1 Like

Yes but you guys had a real heatwave, which would have meant rapid ripening.

Not sure mine are ready yet for picking…I’ll see how we are placed in a week or so before I think about freezing them :thinking: I just wish they would hurry up!!

1 Like