Biodiversity loss risks 'ecological meltdown' - scientists

The UK is one of the world’s most nature-depleted countries - in the bottom 10% globally and last among the G7 group of nations, new data shows (1).

It has an average of about half its biodiversity left, far below the global average of 75%, a study has found.

A figure of 90% is considered the “safe limit” to prevent the world from tipping into an “ecological meltdown”, according to researchers.

The assessment was released ahead of a key UN biodiversity conference.

Biodiversity is the variety of all living things on Earth and how they fit together in the web of life, bringing oxygen, water, food and countless other benefits.

Prof Andy Purvis, research leader at the Natural History Museum in London, said biodiversity is more than something beautiful to look at.

“It’s also what provides us with so many of our basic needs,” he told BBC News.

“It’s the foundation of our society. We’ve seen recently how disruptive it can be when supply chains break down - nature is at the base of our supply chains.”

The new tool for assessing biodiversity, known as the Biodiversity Intactness Index, estimates the percentage of natural biodiversity that remains across the world and in individual countries.

The UK’s low position in the league table is linked to the industrial revolution, which transformed the landscape, the researchers said.

The UK has seen relatively stable biodiversity levels over recent years, albeit at a “really low level,” team researcher Dr Adriana De Palma explained in a news briefing.

The assessment was released on the eve of the UN Biodiversity Conference, COP 15, hosted by China, a mega-diverse country with nearly 10% of plant species and 14% of animals on Earth.

World leaders are attending week-long virtual talks seen as pivotal in raising ambition for slowing the loss of nature ahead of face-to-face talks in Kunming, China, in April next year and the climate conference in Glasgow at the end of the month.

(1) At the top of the list for Covid and bottom of the list for bio-diversity - BJ’s Britain … :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

apocaplype

1 Like

Borıs can hardly blamed for what happened during the industrial revolution.

1 Like

No, but him and his ilk haven’t done much about it so far…what happens when its falls below the 53%, and its too far gone to action anything?

Looking forward to the COP26 in Glasgow at the end of this month though :+1:

3 Likes

More than 40 million birds have vanished from the UK since 1970. And look at what has happened at the Queens Sandringham Estate during the past few years. It is black hole for rare birds of prey. And we know Sandringham is an issue as some of the birds were tagged with gps trackers & two Hen Harriers were seen to shot within firing range of where Prince Harry & friends were shooting.

2 Likes

COP26 is going to be a farce.
That is obvious, surely?

Some countries are using energy as a weapon and as a result there are not only huge price rises but the world’s biggest countries like India & China are seeing power cuts affecting huge swathes of their countries, and meantime those trying to do the right thing and decrease their reliance upon fossil fuels are facing dire consequences for doing so when their problems could be significantly eased by returning to the use of their own untapped significant reserves of these fuels rather than being held to ransom.

I really do think that anybody expecting great things fromCOP26 in the current climate is going to be sorely disappointed.

Are you following it? Their schedule of events looks really interesting :smiley:

I will keep an eye on events but I’m not going to follow it closely because I suspect, for the reasons I gave earlier, that it will end up being just lots more words with little in the way of effective solutions or action sadly.

I read something by an academic recently where he said he was hoping for a poor result. His logic being there are 3 options. A good result, which is almost impossible to conceive happening. A bad result. Or a terrible result, which is a real possibility. Thus, he said a bad result was the best we could hope for.

What a dire situation we find ourselves in when we’re left with such poor options but it sounds very much like that academic was right.
Given the way things have gone recently I really just cannot see anything else result from what should be a real opportunity for at least the beginnings of global agreement while there’s still a glimmer of hope for our future.

1 Like

I think it’s terrifying and very, very sad

What we destroyed so casually can’t be replaced and it could indeed reach a point of no return where lack of diversity causes our eco systems to fail

What practical things could we do, individually and as a country to preserve bio-diversity?

Recycle everything, stop building everywhere, stop using chemicals on everything…

even as I’m writing this, I’m sighing because its all about the money. Money prioritises nature, in this country.

1 Like

It is good that they are finally taking this seriously instead of waffling about greenhouse gasses fossil fuels. Our biodiversity is key to our survival on the planet. It should be the focus as everything else is secondary in terms of importance. It’s certainly something we can turn around and it should be the number one priority to do so. About 80% of our oxygen comes from plankton. That’s how important it is to look after the wildlife and nature on the planet.

1 Like

It is terrifying.
Sadly I don’t think that we will ever get the unanimous global agreement of a need for action until it is too late.
That’s if it isn’t already too late, of course.
:frowning_face:

I just realised the irony of this COP26 business.(apologies to Omah again for derailment) but couldn’t they hold webinars online or via zoom? For all the people to travel from all over the world, to chat about climate change…seems a little bit bizarre. Just a thought. :woman_shrugging:

I agree but if face to face contact means that more is achieved in terms of understanding and agreement then it’s worth any carbon generated. Plus WWW generates it’s own carbon footprint. Look at the pollution generated by just bitcoin mining which consumes more electricity in a year than Argentina.

1 Like

Biodiversity is at risk in the UK, IMHO due to the every increasing population making demands on the limited land space, but STILL immigration takes place, illegal as well as legal!

I blame intensive farming and the resulting loss of biosphere land.