Big regional divide on some energy bill standing charges

Sharp rises in standing charges on standard electricity bills will see customers face very different cost increases depending on where they live.

Customers in South Scotland, Merseyside, North Wales and the South West of England will see the daily payments double from April.

Those in London and the East of England will see increases of less than 60%.

All consumer bills include a standing charge; a fixed daily payment covering the costs of supply and other levies.

The regulator Ofgem caps them for consumers on standard default tariffs in England, Wales and Scotland, although the cap varies by region.

Standing charges are not the biggest part of an energy bill, but they are set to rise by more than £71 a year on average in April.

Price per day for Single Rate Electricity Meter from April 2022 by British region in order of percentage charge.

• London: up 8p a day to 31p - a 38% increase
  • Eastern: up 13p a day to 36p - a 58% increase
  • South East: up 17p a day to 40p - a 73% increase
  • North West: up 17p a day to 40p - 73% increase
  • Southern: up 18p a day to 41p - an 80% increase
  • Yorkshire: up 21p a day to 46p - an 81% increase
  • North Scotland: up 22p a day to 48p - a 83% increase
  • Northern: up 21p a day to 46p - an 85% increase
  • East Midlands: up 20p a day to 43p - an 88% increase
  • Midlands: up 22p a day to 46p - a 92% increase
  • South Wales: up 22p a day to 46p - a 94% increase
  • Southern Scotland: up 24p a day to 47p - a 100% increase
  • South Western: up 25p a day to 49p - a 101% increase
  • North Wales & Merseyside: up 23p a day to 45p - 102% increase

Daylight robbery … :091:

All perfectly legal of course but what do we expect, we have these so called independent bodies in this case Of gem which has no real power and was created by the politicians to give the impression to us plebs that they care, any so called Of body is a toothless joke.

I’m in Devon and with Ovo

Currently my electricity standing is 24.44 and 20.57 a unit, as from 1st it will be 51.62 standing and 28.40 a unit.

Currently my gas standing is 24.87 and 3.99 a unit, as from 1st it will be 27.22 standing and 7.48 a unit.

I am with octopus in the south west I haven’t looked at my bill it will depress ms.

I am with Octopus but I negotiated a two year fixed deal last April so I am good for another year. That said I have increased my DD by £15 to build up a bit of a cushion with credit.

I am with Octopus in the North-West and I am not happy … :angry: