Best way to make a cheese toastie?

Sandwich maker for sure, plenty of models to choose from and versatile, toasty sarnies galore if you’re inclined.

Under the grill was the traditional way i started with cheese and tomato on toast, however, the toasted cheese and tomato sarny is less messy and sealed edges
Lovely

My Dualit toaster came with 2 absolutely brilliant toasties makers

IMG_3311

The way I like to do it:

Lightly toast (under the grill) the sides of the bread that that going to be inside of the toastie. Fully toast the other sides. Put the cheese on one of the lightly toasted sides and put it under the grill to melt. Add sauces when the cheese has melted if you want. Then sandwich the cheese with the other slice of toast, the fully toasted side being outside.

Does anyone have one of these toastie makers, like George Egg uses?

I am tempted, he makes some good stuff with his

1 Like

The best way is under the grill but it’s such a ceremony instead of using George. George is brilliant. You can have a super-fast fabulous pannini-style cheese toastie made with just one slice of sourdough bloomer. You can also put in ham (or fuet iberico) and a single slice of tomato. Put the cheese on the bread (no butter), add other contents then slice the whole thing in half and folder over. You just have to make sure the cheese is inside the edges of the bread. It takes about a minute at most to press a pannini toastie complete with cafe-style griddle marks.

I made myself a cheese and (fried) egg sandwich this evening. It was a toss up whether to use the sandwich maker or the sandwich press. I ended up using the latter because the egg protruded slightly from the edges of the bread. I should have used an egg ring.

It was hot and very nice.

As an aside it reminded me of when my old man used to make fried egg sandwiches for himself to take on any long car or train journey. Made very early in the morning he would eat them cold and greasy about midday or early afternoon. Everybody else thought they were disgusting.

1 Like

It’s the grill for me. We have a sandwich maker, but Mrs Graham doesn’t like to use it as it’s “more washing up to do”.

that’s a great way to stop your colleagues stealing your lunch.

1 Like

Traditional sandwich makers are very difficult to clean. Bits of bread get embedded in the folds. So annoying.

2 Likes

I usually make mine via a toasting pocket and the results are just right :+1::clap:

1 Like

Deffo grill for me. I prefer to 'watch it cook, and see the cheese bubbling, rather than shut it away.
Bought a sandwich maker a couple of years ago mainly because it was in the sale - never used it!

We’ve got one of these deep-filled ones, which is very good

But to cut down on carbs and reduce the ratio of bread to cheese, we usually just have a slice of cheese on toast, only one slice of bread and the same amount if cheese

1 Like

Once the non stick stops working I just throw it away and buy a new one they are only about $10 courtesy of Chinese industry.

1 Like

Air fryer wins for me, tried the toastie maker and it ends up the non stick stops non sticking = one mess.
Tried the panini maker where you just flatten whatever you want between two slices of bread and hmm not great.
Toaster pockets nearly caught on fire and as I was using them at work got told not to bring them in again.
When abroad I did try them in a non stick frying pan and as we didn’t have great facilities in the self catering there it came out quite good, just made a sandwich, butter on the outside and turn half way.
Now the air fryer is the business, it cooks so much faster, is so tasty and the air fryer is so much easier to clean.

Just the thought of trying to clean up all that over flowing cheese is enough to put me off, when it’s baked on it’s even harder.

1 Like

They are a pain to clean but the plates on that one are detachable and you can put them in the dishwasher :crossed_fingers:

I’ve never thought of doing that. How long do you stick them in for and at what temperature?

Best way to make a cheese sandwich is getting er indoors to make it.

1 Like

Mines a ninja so I put it on air fry at 190 c for 8-9 minutes turning after 5 mins… delicious :yum:

1 Like