Best thing about being an expat?

Yes, true, I see what you mean. You only have to look at cities and towns here in the UK to see the ‘lager louts’ here too. As someone who is teetotal, and almost always has been, I really would not like to be subjected to that reputation just because I am British though. :wink: :slight_smile:

Hi All been catching up with the comments
I have lived in Spain for 13 years and yes I am a resident and pay Spanish Tax which is far greater than the UK
I live in a Barrio called Campana which is in Nueva Anadlucia but our complex is residential and has many Spanish living here we all get on great there are one or two who rent out but not many so 12 at night most people are tucked up in bed as they have to work the next day
The lock down for us was not too bad as we have gardens and terraces to sit in and because we have a dog walks in the Campo no problem
We all rather like no visitors not good for the economy but you cant have everything moneys taken a bit of a battering but I have not put petrol in one of our cars since 13th March and still got 1/4 of a tank the pound is slowly coming back and the stock market is up and down but monies going back up so all in all very happy and the sun is shining

I always found that despite the pandering, the best bit was coming home

Best thing about being an expat?

… living in the country you choose to live in, rather than the country you were born in to.

You’ll never know 'till you try it. :wink:

Ditto. What a life!

Just as a matter of interest what happens to the British living in continental Europe in 2021? Do they become citizens of the country they are living in?

I have asked this in the Brexit forum but they are too busy going over the same old ground and burbling on about fishing rights ad nauseum.

Better to ask the people actually living in Spain, France etc, what arrangements have been made?

I have family living in Spain and had checked to see what happens to them following Brexit. The following links are I believe the official versions and do seem to give the information required:

https://www.instituteforgovernment.org.uk/explainers/british-citizens-europe-after-brexit

Thanks for that, very interesting.

Surely if they feel strongly abou it Brucy, they only have to take
out citizenship dont they??

Donkeyman!

Oh dear Assman, it is obvious that you have no idea about some of the requirements for taking out citizenship. There is no “only” about it.

The uk doesn’t do much for us Australians who were born in the uk. Frozen pensions and not exactly welcoming at the airports. Questions about how long you intend staying in God’s own etc. We won’t be going over there again now ,it is too far though we enjoyed our stay just before The Plague started.

I did it in one day Brucy ?
Nothing to it

Donkeyman!

I’m not an expat (yet) but I think the best thing must be hearing about all the crap that goes on in the World in a foreign language so you can’t understand a word of it.

That won’t work in Aussie LD !!

Donkeyman!

Luckily Aus isn’t on my list Donks. :mrgreen:

More space, easier to get round, better weather. People don’t seem to be as stressed, overall, though I haven’t lived in the uk for nearly 50 years. I can go for a swim in my own backyard and not a neighbour in sight.

Everyone should have a little list.

I gave it up for freedom,
And a free electric fan!!

Donkeyman!

I must be an ex. pat, twice removed??

Donkeyman l.

best thing for me is I’ve got two countries l two passports ; two homes ; two families and one queen!!