Best Modern Day Actor

oh yes, the boy and ‘our jud’ infact all the acting was brilliant in Kes. Even her that played Ivy Tilsley in Corrie lol

1 Like

Can I mention some of the best (IMO) modern day actresses?

Judy Dench
Maggie Smith
Julie Walters
Meryl Streep
Glenda Jackson
Emma Thompson
Helena Bonham Carter
Helen Mirren
Vanessa Redgrave
Imelda Staunton

And some of the best modern day TV actresses:
Anna Maxwell Martin
Sarah Lancashire
Nicola Walker
Joanne Froggatt
Emilia Fox

His rolls aren’t all violent, there are some humorous parts as well in most of his films, I like the wacky characters he plays, specially Pirates of the Caribbean & Alice in Wonderland.

One really good actress who doesn’t seem to be on anyone’s list is Dervla Kirwin

Saw her first in ‘A Time to Dance’ with Ronald Pickup, then in ‘True, Dare, Kiss’ with David Bradley, and later in ‘Ballykissangel’ with Niall Toibin. She has appeared in several TV series since then but, for me, her most remarkable performance was as Jinx in ‘The Dark Room’ - one of Minette Walters stories. Dervla was brilliant in that - and she did something that I would never have done no matter how much they paid me - she had all her beautiful hair shaved off

A brilliant TV and film actor I forgot to mention is Stephen Graham. I don’t feel he gets the recognition he deserves although he has won some awards. I only discovered him last year in a series called ‘Time’ and he was superb in it. I’m looking out for stuff of his to watch.

Another couple I like is Sheridan Smith and Sarah Lancashire.

Did anyone see Line of Duty? I must look out for that to watch, he was in that.

1 Like

Yes - series 1 to 5 were excellent. Series 6 was rubbish.

I always enjoy watching Martin Freeman in both comedy and serious drama he is such a good actor…another favourite is Lennie James

1 Like

Oh I do like Martin Freeman as well…although he brings his familiar facial expressions and pauses into every role he plays, and I often wonder if he is like that in real life…

1 Like

Who? :017:

Martin Freeman.

1 Like

He was in The Office, and The Hobbit (Bilbo Baggins) among other stuff.
The Office: Martin Freeman non riusciva a smettere di ...

Never heard of him…
:confused:

1 Like

I watched the Hobbit (all 3) the other day. My daughter gave me her Netflix password, and now I have access to loads and loads of rubbish. The Hobbit films were spectacular, but silly. The story centred on a small band of dwarves, and their quest to reclaim their lost kingdom. I found the dwarves very irritating, and didn’t really have much sympathy for them, which is not what I was supposed to feel, I don’t think. :102:

1 Like

Well, the book that sparked the films is very small and shouldn’t really have 3 films worth in it (money spinner, clearly). I think you would find the dwarves in the book slightly less irritating!

Oh Netflix can show some good stuff if you explore it :film_strip: :clapper:

2 Likes

Sorry Pixie, I never watched the office, I don’t like many comedies. And the Hobbit is too far fetched for my liking.

Perhaps if you watched it on a non-mainstream platform you would find it more believable, Foxy. :grinning:

I only have a ‘Mainstream’ platform Harbal…
:nerd_face:

There are some excellent documentaries, films and series on netflix. I wasnt interested when john first subscribed to it, now I’m hooked. I like crime and there is loads on netflix . Take a look around Harby,

But not many that appeal to me. I don’t mind that, because I don’t want to find myself watching it all the time. I found an interesting documentary on fungi yesterday, as it happens. :+1:

1 Like

The man is a brilliant actor and who else can play God ?

2 Likes