Berries on my Holly tree

Before the birds strip them!

And this little weed

4 Likes

Ive noticed an abundance of Berries on my walks, even Acorns are in great quantities.
Ive heard this is a sign of a bad winter .

I like to see berries do you see more this year than last @Furryanimal on your Holly Tree ?

1 Like

The Rowman trees around my way are heavy with berries. Doesn’t that mean we are in for a harsh winter or something?

2 Likes

I’m not sure about berries, acorns certainly, I’m keeping my eyes peeled for the haws and sloes.

3 Likes

I love Holly!!

2 Likes

I think I might have a sloe bush…:thinking:

Haws? Rosehips? There’s a huge glut of them by me but I don’t know what to do with them.

1 Like

Be wary of your sloe bush.
I believe that the spines of the Blackthorn can make some people very ill merely by being scratched.
I’ve never had a problem myself but I remember being warned about them when visiting friends and family in the country .

2 Likes

They aren’t sloe berries :thinking: I just googled them. I’ll have to check tomorrow…tiny black berries in hanging bunches is what I have.

1 Like

Elderberries perhaps?
If so lucky you!

Do be sure :skull_and_crossbones: :wink:

2 Likes

Ooooh!! Could be yes…I’ll double check tomorrow :+1:

2 Likes

Yeah…far more.

We ahve noticed lots of trees with barries on too.
I was told many years ago that if they go missing then we are in for a bad winter,as the wildlife are storing them.
If they are still on the trees then it means we will have a mild winter.
And tbh,that has seemed the case for the last few years,well in my area it has,( Staffordshire }.

1 Like

So I checked this morning…

Elderberries, yes?

1 Like

Oh yes!
Those are elderberries :+1:

2 Likes

Yes!!! :partying_face:

Right so, whats the plan…what can I do with them?

1 Like

Pontack sauce has always appealed although I’ve never had a crack at making it.
I’m quite intrigued, I’ll have to have a bit of a Google when I get back from work tonight :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Are you on here while at work! :018: :joy:

I like the sound of that sauce…I have looked up syrup, and wine so far. I don’t think I’ll have enough for either, but I can find more outwith my garden.

1 Like

Oooh…how very dare you!
No, I’ve just finished my lunchtime job and have whizzed home for a coffee before moving on to my next job.

Yes, I’m tempted to have a cycle around locally and see what I can find . That’s one reason why I’m quite drawn to the sauce recipe, it doesn’t require an excessive amount of berries.

2 Likes