BBC licence to be suspended

I can never get my head around the arguments against the licence fee.

At roughly 50pence a day, can you seriously think of anything else that gives better value for money?

3 Likes

Its about time this was sorted, thought great, a bit of post Christmas normality back with the programming this Saturday just gone, as “The Wall” was back. Great I thought, lets watch a few “Ordinary” folks win and lose a few bob but, the joy was short lived when the word “Celebrity” came up, wasted no time changing channels. I think folks are sick to the back teeth with celeb this and celeb that, thank God for Youtube.

1 Like

I couldn’t agree more spitty. I cannot bear the celebrity quiz games, they’re all about self promotion, me me me. The way most of them ham up their responses is excruciating. They get an answer right and it’s all huge wide eyes, a mock look of shock on their face, hand to their chest or throat as if they’re about to faint from the sheer excitement of it all. And, oh Lord, if it’s a comedian on there, then they think they have to crack a joke every single time they’re spoken to. Oh for God’s sake get over yourselves :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

My fear, though, is that the other channels like Channel 4 only do those investigative journalism and niche programmes because they have to compete with the BBC.

When the BBC is gone, they won’t need to and as those programs are expensive to make, they won’t bother.

Yes, I presume the licence fee funds the BBC radio programs and advert free radio will be a big loss.

Well, exactly, I don’t get it either. People cheerfully fork out for Netflix, Sky, Amazon Prime etc where they get a lot less for their money

And of course, when the cheaper option of the BBC is gone, those services will put their prices up

I think the day will come when people regret letting go an inexpensive TV service where the price is regulated by the Government.

My concern is that with the BBC gone, the commercial services will be able to offer less and less in their basic packages and those on low incomes will be priced out.

I think the resentment about the licence fee maybe political for some.

Some on the Right don’t like alternative opinions given air time and accuse the BBC of bias

1 Like

I didn’t mind paying for the TV license, what annoyed me was the fact they gave it free to pensioners, then rescinded that & we had to pay again.
I like the BBC programs, well most of them, but ads really get up my nose as there are so many of them on every commercial program, even half hour ones.

I never ever watch or listen to the BBC.

The scrapping of the license fee should be under this governments term in office. Saying your going to do something in 6 years time is a complete cop out.

1 Like

Ah, yes. WAS. I never watch it, but perhaps you can tell me some of the programmes the BBC produces which offer serious competition to other TV services.

Yes, they used to produce some very good programmes, but I haven’t heard of anything these days that I’d miss.

I have just been watching a chap on GBNews stating that, yes, it’s only 43p a day, but he equated that to what it builds up to over weeks and months and how that affects poorer and older people.
He challenged the BBC that if they feel they can offer a competitive service, perhaps they should make the licence optional, and see how many people actually choose to pay it.

Won’t they still have to compete with each other?

Yes and people who can’t pay the BBC license fee won’t go to jail. The same scenario as a Netflix or Sky subscription.

1 Like

Yes, but they’ll only have to compete with each other on a different level, just on the low quality, uncontroversial popular stuff that brings in the big audiences and advertisers like.

They won’t have to raise their game to compete with the BBCs better quality programming, the investigative stuff and niche programming any more.

I don’t really agree with free things being given out to all pensioners.

Some pensioners are very wealthy and I don’t think it’s fair, really, to give them a free TV licence while working families on low incomes and Universal Credit end up paying for theirs.

I’m probably on the wrong type of forum by age to say that! :scream::rofl:

The BBC need to make some programmes like ITV4, but, make them more like real life for example “The real housewives of Quarry Bank” :grinning:

Thing is, if you are on low income, the BBC is a good value package. You don’t get as much for your buck on the paid for services

And if the BBC goes, the paid for services won’t have to keep their basic packages lower, to compete with the BBC.

Because a lot of people at the moment only have the BBC and a TV licence.

Yes, if they didn’t have to pay for a TV licence they could pay for a paid for service, like SKY

But the price those service providers can charge isn’t regulated by Government.

And with no cheaper BBC package to compete with, they’ll probably up the price of their basic package because there’s more demand for it, and profits to be made

And if those basic packages go up above what some people on low incomes can afford, then it’s no TV for them and social exclusion

I really think we’ll look back with longing at the bargain we got for the price of a TV licence in a few years time when the price of the paid for services rocket and programming quality goes down

OK, but why not make it a choice? Pay the TV licence if you want to watch the ‘superior’ BBC; don’t pay it if you prefer the ‘inferior’ programmes available elsewhere.

Perhaps you can now tell me some of the programmes the BBC produces which offer serious competition to other TV services.

I’d pay the licence fee for the BBC Proms alone

Then there’s:
Call the Midwife
His Dark Materials
Motherland
You Don’t Know Me
Shetland
Hidden
Silent Witness
The Split
Line of Duty
Green Planet
The Tourist
Etc etc…

No thanks. None of the above.

The only thing I can think of worth watching on BBC is the Nine Lessons and Carols from King’s, but that’s only once a year and £150 for one programme is a bit of a stretch!

Well there you go then!!

Yes! I’m perfectly happy. I don’t want to watch the BBC; I don’t want to support the biased BBC; I’m happy to watch all other channels, some of which I pay for and others are free.
Consequently, like an increasing number of others I refuse to pay the BBC Tax and enjoy watching them suffer from a decreasing financial income.

Everyone is happy… except the BBC!

1 Like

Everything seems to be political lately.