Barking Magpie

3 Likes

They say Magpies will steal anything - but the dogs bark? That is really hitting below the belt!!

I much prefer their song.

1 Like

UK Magpies don’t sing Bruce - they make a noise like a ‘tommy’ gun!

The star of the video is an Australian Magpie,very different bird.
Very intelligent and sociable(most of the time)
We have one if she’s feeling peckish will come inside and stand in front of the 'fridge.

1 Like

@Psmith - Just watched it again - that thieving rascal even nicks the toy! No wonder the poor dog looks fed up!

2 Likes

The only similarity between the UK magpie and the Australian one is the colour. Ours are a type of butcher bird (or so I am told)

Magpies and Cicadas are the sound of Australia as far as I am concerned.

The first film included a bit of the normal Magpie call but here is some more

3 Likes

@Bruce - thank you - it is quite different from ours.

@Bruce your magpies are a lot more tuneful than ours :grinning:

1 Like

I love 'em except when they attack you and it is that time of the year.

1 Like

Is it a pet Ptsmth?

So funny, that dog looked “ cheesed off though”…:open_mouth::joy::sweat_smile:

1 Like

Ouch! :grinning:

I like the song of the Australian Magpie, our Magpies croak, they are Corvids.
Both species can mimic though. Jackdaws are the best at it.
Someone in our neighbourhood reared a baby Jackdaw then set it free when it was adult & the darn bird took up residence in our garden & roosted at night by our bedroom window for months, all we could here was, ‘Poor, poor Jack, orphan Jack, poor, poor Jackie’. It drove us nuts. During the day, he picked pegs off washing lines, stole food & flew at little kids from a height, he was a menace. He had no fear of anything. Then one day he got caught by a cat, bye, bye Jackie.

Funny video but I agree with ST and pauline, that dog looks unhappy. :upside_down_face: :teddy_bear: