Australia goes Nuclear

At last a sensible post!
:023:

I would agree with you and from what I’ve been reading so some others in the Indo-pacific.

https://www.ft.com/content/cac4b3b0-faec-4648-a49d-8dbcd96eac02

1 Like

Hi

Zaphod.

Fine, then you have have no issues with France withdrawing checks on Eurostar and Channel Crossing and us having to sort out all the illegals here.

Show us please where France are saying that they are going to do that?
Oh and while you’re at it, explain what it has got to do with this thread and “Australia goes Nuclear”?

The French are doing what amounts to pouting at the international level. Shortly the U.K. or the U.S. will do something to smooth their ruffled feathers.

Le Touqet agreement - Swimmy is right, for ports under the Le Touquet agreement, our border is in Calais

No it is not.
There is a huge difference between border controls and where a country’s official border is.

1 Like

It pretty much is, Zaphod.

Only regarding the control of immigration.
There’s a huge difference between that and a country’s official border.

1 Like

It is an official border - it is there under reciprocal arrangements with France.

Wrong.
It is an official border control point.
Not a border in the strict sense of the word.
Hence it being referred to as “in effect”.

1 Like

It is an official border.

It is there officially because it is a legally binding treaty under international law between the French and the UK.

It is “in effect” because it is bound into international law under that treaty.

Here:
"This meant each country would set up immigration control points at the borders of the other, in particular the French immigration checkpoint in Dover and the British checkpoint in Calais."
See that?
“Immigration control point”, NOT border.
They are different things.
It even says they are on each other’s borders.
If you don’t agree with that then take it up with the respective governments or the publications that relay the information.
Not with me and not just for the sake of arguing

https://www.france24.com/en/20180117-france-britains-le-touquet-treaty-migration-key-points

Maybe I don’t get it. I mean the French depend on the channel crossing for their economy as well as the U.K. does. So what I’m hearing is that France is going to cut off it’s nose to spite it’s face. According to what I can find. "
Eurotunnel, which operates the undersea tunnel between France and England, tripled profits last year on the back of record passenger numbers. Net profit totaled 101m euros (£84.6m) from 32m euros in 2012."
That’s a lot of money to kiss goodbye, and that is just the money generated by the train. Sorry, but politicians will do a lot, but cripple their own economy as a form of temper tantrum, I doubt it.
P.S. I know shyte about Eurostar.

1 Like

You’re right @Danny and sometimes the French would rather do that; it certainly wouldn’t be the first time.

1 Like

It is an immigration border - that’s the whole point of it as I pointed out under the Le Touquet agreement.

Hi

Simples, the French are French, very touchy and difficult to deal with.

They put France First, Second and Third.

They are very annoyed, they describe the UK as a minor player in this and know exactly how to make life difficult.

When I was working, which is nearly 7 years ago now.

Cameron was PM and the Home Secretary, Theresa May, could not wait to get rid of me and others who were giving France a hard time.

Being nice to the French does not work, being straight with them does.

That’s all very nice but the thread is about “Australia goes Nuclear”.
:wink:

1 Like

Stick to the subject then and when people put you right about stuff you have no clue about stop talking utter bollocks.