Astra zeneca and EU?

I fear that the damage done by going public with these blood clot stats, will, itself, lead to many more deaths, of anti vaccine people, in the end.

At best, someone made a mistake putting the figures out. At worst if someone did it for political payback reasons.

People under 30, in the uk, are now being offered an alternative vaccine!

Wonder what the legal beagles will be focussing on after this?

If more anti-vaxers die because they refused to have a perfectly good inoculation, then that’s down to them. They chose not to have a jab, I choose to have it - I want to protect myself. Simples.

All medications carry a potential risk of varying degrees. Just look at the paperwork provided with a packet of paracetamol or ibuprofen or, for younger women, the contraceptive pill. The list of possible complications is so frightening, I’m surprised anyone takes them at all.

I think so too.
Why it’s only the Oxford AZ vaccine getting this attention I don’t know since I posted the other day about similar problems and research into the Pfizer BioNTech and Moderna vaccines too.
This report is from towards the end of March:

[B][I]“In a case series, James Bussel, MD, and colleagues reviewed 20 reports of thrombocytopenia after receipt of the Pfizer and Moderna COVID-19 vaccines in the U.S.”

“His group found that 17 of these patients did not have pre-existing thrombocytopenia.”

“However, they note that “all but one” of these cases occurred after the first dose of the Pfizer or Moderna vaccine.”[/I][/B]

See in particular the “Clots in the US” section, about a third of the way down the page linked here:

Trouble might be, though, that because no vaccinated person is 100% safe, there might be a large number who have done the right thing but still get infected by those who didn’t.

Yes, but presumably in a much milder form ?

D man!

About time for the politicians to belt up l think ??

Donkeyman!

A few EU ones certainly but it’s (from what I can see given my earlier post) far more likely that it’s the other major pharma companies doing their darndest to maximise profits during a pandemic which, I’m sure you must agree, is about as distasteful as you could possibly get.

AstraZeneca’s aim is to supply 142 countries with many millions of doses of vaccine - all on a not-for-profit basis remember as the only vaccine maker to do so.

India alone has so far given over 77 million AZ doses (called Covishield in India) and today it is being reported that The Serum Institute of India which manufactures the AZ vaccine under license has asked the Indian government for $400 million to increase capacity so that they can make more.

Not I’m sure that any official anywhere would ever say this in public at least, but it’s quite obvious that other manufacturers will want to capture as much of the market as possible and so increase their own profitability as almost every single person on the planet is likely to receive multiple vaccinations not just this year but in the years ahead.

It might not be exactly ethical but that’s business.

It’s about death Ted, not having the vaccine has got nothing to do with catching the virus or passing it on, that can still be done by a vaccinated person. Everybody can still catch the virus, but you are less likely to be hospitalised or die if you had the vaccine. In fact, an unvaccinated person has more to fear from you than you have from them.

It might be distributed ‘Not-for-Profit’ Zaphod, but they still charge governments for the vaccines, they are not free. And bearing in mind that the vaccine is only effective for six months, the next batch might be charged full price, it might even be passed on to the recipient.

And you have to get the same kind all the time, presumably? The boosters I mean, for it to “stay” effective. See this is what I don’t understand…the virus is always changing, so the vaccines will have to change. If we get boosters /vaccines every 6 months or so, its really like being on medication is it not?

Exactly Mrs  knuckles !!
In fact Big Pharma will have captured the whole human race ??

Profits ensured for Eternity ??
And just think of all the plastic pollution,(used syringes, masks etc) ?
I forsee when vaccines will be removed from NHS !

Donkeyman !

Well that’s a cheerful thought innit? Then what? Only the fittest survive? Lovely. :shock: Oh wait…did you mean paying for them? Paying to stay alive…?! Surely not :roll:

Has been explained this morning on Sky by a scientist WHY the second dose has to be the same as the first so I would assume boosters will have to be also ,but what do I know ,it’s mind blowing keeping up . :frowning:

We have our second jab of the AZ vaccine the week after next.

It’s the first law of nature, PK !
BTW, We allready have to pay to stay alive don’t we?
Many times over actually, it’s called CAPITALISM. !!

Donkeyman!

Welcome RJG !!
You should have no problems getting the AZ, Seems we have a lot
left over ??

Donkeyman!

Exactly, Zuleika! Every time I see the news there is something different going on :frowning:

Of couse no vaccine is free, I doubt that any pharma company could afford such charity and survive.
But not a single other global pharma company has been as generous as AstraZeneca.
Not one.

Oh and BTW (by the way :wink: ) AstraZeneca have promised to supply their vaccine on a not-for-profit basis for the duration of the pandemic as well as “in perpetuity” to low- and middle-income countries in the developing world.

I’m not saying that AstraZeneca are perfect but compare that to every single other Covid vaccine manufacturer and compare prices per dose, then wonder how much of that is profit.
Then mutiply that by certainly hundreds of millions and possibly billions of doses.
:wink:

Brussels urges EU to come together over vaccines ??
Unity is essential for an effective vaccination policy says commission
Seems they prefer to use sputnik to any other vaccine??
They are ready to order 1•8 billion doses !!
RT news tonight!

Donkeyman!

They might have to DM because of the way the EU have played silly beggars.
:wink:

When they’ve not been savvy enough and ordered from other manufacturers like the French Valneva (who the UK funded back in July last year for trials & more and ordered 60 million doses from) and the USA’s Novavax is “delaying” a 100 million dose order when approvals are imminent (we funded their factory & trials here too & have a 100 million dose order in + options on another 90 million doses for future years) they need to do more now because they’ve left it too late otherwise and people are dying.

If the EU are so worried about a miniscule possibility of side effects from the Oxford AstraZeneca jab though it makes you wonder why choose the Russian equivalent when the Russians aren’t exactly known for being open and honest about … well about pretty much anything to be honest.
And the Chinese are as bad if not worse.

I suspect that this will not go well.