As requested by Muddy

These four portraits had underpaintings, although I don’t produce a monocolour underpainting it’s usually completely different colour scheme to the finished painting. So it’s really more about adding multiple layers of colour. The different colour layers (and there are usually at least 5 or 6 layers) are added with a dry brush technique allowing the colours from the layers beneath to come through.

5 Likes

Excellent.I would like to see some more please.

These are fantastic !
I love the colours .
Yes please post some more .

Great paintings Marge!

Looking forward to seeing more please! :grinning:

Beautiful artwork! Love it!

Marge thanks you for your kind words. Here are some landscapes.

Some of the landscapes have very few layers (e.g. the coal mine) and I’ve approached them more like watercolours allowing the paper to remain white in places to add brightness. Sometimes I even apply paint and then rub this back to the paper layer.

So I vary between lots of layers to very light application of dry paint. My aim is always to create texture though and not worry about rough painterly edges.

2 Likes

Oh I like them

1 Like

Thank you. The top right one, actually, is not quite finished. She’s a perfectionist and is still improving it.
The top two, of course, are ruined abbeys (Whitby and Fountains) and she’s working on some others to create a set of four (Bolton and Kirkstall), or possibly more, for a charity sale.
We’re good at abbeys in Yorkshire, we have loads!

They are excellent Marge is very talented .
I especially like the old railway track .

1 Like

They are superb. You are very talented.

1 Like

Thanks. Yes the track, or part of it, is still there at Astley Green Mining Museum and they now run narrow gauge trains along it for visitors.

Me? Oh no, the only thing I can paint is walls, and even then I sometimes go over the edge!

1 Like

You have a very clever lady there, JBR.
They are excellent. :+1:

1 Like

Thank you. She has a wonderful husband too.

Great paintings…we have such talented people here…wish I could paint.

Well I can paint a door or a wall :smile: :

1 Like

Hah. And so endearing with his modesty. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Wow. Such talent. Brilliant! Xx

1 Like

Yes, that’s me: ‘Modest John’.
(Ooops, what a give-away :open_mouth:)

Only just come across this thread. Such terrific paintings, your wife is very talented @JBR.
Are the portraits all friends and family? I love the bottom right portrait - she looks a lovely lady, such a warm and friendly smile.