Aromatherapy - what's your favorite scent?

My favourite is peppermint oil. If I am feeling down and smell it, I just feel grounded and uplifted.

I seem to have a problem with patchouli oil. I just hate the smell and the way it makes me feel.

Everyone should be careful how they use essential oils. They are highly concentrated and toxic.

5 Likes

Bratti, please be careful . . .

*Is eucalyptus oil safe for dogs to smell?

Many essential oils, such as eucalyptus oil, tea tree oil, cinnamon, citrus, pennyroyal, peppermint, pine, sweet birch, wintergreen, and ylang ylang are toxic to pets. These are toxic whether they are applied to the skin OR used in diffusers.

I agree, and that is what I have been saying, Annie.
Some people just buy them because they like the smell, and don’t find out enough about them first.

1 Like

Thank you for your concern Mups.
Eucalyptus as well as tea tree oil, peppermint and others are toxic to dogs if digested. I’m only using 3 drops and the diffuser is about 12 feet from the dog.

Like others here, I’ve also taken courses on aromatherapy as well as 2 courses on herbs. It was also part of my course in order to become a qualified, registered nutritionist. Treating pets was inclusive.

Here is an article that even says that using these oils in diffusers isn’t damaging to dogs. I’m equally into caring for my dogs as you are with yours. I have no concerns about this but again, thank you all the same. Many oils are highly toxic to dogs and cats so something to really consider.

3 Likes

OK Bratti.
However, I do find it confusing (and very wrong) when even the professionals cannot agree over whether some of these oils are toxic in diffusers or not. Some say it’s safe, others say it is not. I don’t like that.
Also some people probably haven’t a clue of the dilutions and make then too strong even.

I know you love your dog, of course you do and that has never been in doubt, but until there is concrete proof one way or the other, for me personally, I will not take the chance…

Maybe like us humans, it is reasonable to assume some dogs are probably more sensitive than others, especially as their ‘smell cells’ are far superior to ours, and according to size and breed (like the snub nosed dogs for a start), and if the professionals cannot agree over safety issues, where does that leave us?

I guess we’ve all got to do what we feel is wisest.

1 Like

Absolutely agree 100%. People need to do their research thoroughly. It’s not unusual for experts to completely disagree including subjects about pets. It happens all the time and is very confusing for all but you are absolutely spot on that we, as humans, need to always keep in mind that a dogs sense of smell far exceeds ours and we MUST keep this in mind.

It’s best to be safe than sorry. I certainly wasn’t being sarcastic about that.

Information is often controversial. Many articles claim that all essential oils are toxic to dogs and perhaps it depends on the quantity used or if it’s being digested.

For instance, lemongrass is apparently toxic to dogs however it’s one of the best natural herbs for getting rid of ticks on dogs. So much so that a company out here in the Atlantic bubble has made the most popular tick repellent which can safely be used on dogs. It’s called Atlantick.

Since we have been using this, none of our dogs have gotten any ticks. It’s the most popular tick repellent in this Atlantic bubble.
I doubt it would be recommended if it was THAT toxic.

Apparently garlic is supposed to be toxic to dogs yet many pet foods and dog treats use it. I’ve definitely allowed our dogs to have a limited amount of garlic occasionally with no health issues.

Like most things, I think common sense comes into play. We make our own dog food which our girls have everyday. Researching what’s toxic to dogs is something we are consistently on top of.

3 Likes

I use Frankincense oil in my aroma essential oils diffuser (mixed with water).
It’s very relaxing :slight_smile:

2 Likes

So infuriating when you hear someone say, for example, “Oh I really love the smell of Rosemary, I put loads in my bath at night!”
Then they wonder why they can’t sleep!!

It’s very relaxing. I agree. More so than lavender.
I’ve been hesitant to put it in any of my diffusers since I’m not sure whether it will gum them up or not. Does yours not get all sticky/ gummy from the frankincense?

An excellent post Bratti.

2 Likes

Is that where the addition of water comes in. Technically Frankincense is a gum resin not an oil so is a bit more gunky.

1 Like

It IS like a resin. It’s almost like tree sap that’s made into turpentine. Maybe mixing a bit in warm water first might help. Lately I’ve been using warm water in my diffusers and they seem to work better.

1 Like

Thank you Mups.