Are you interested in your Ancestry?

I could be tempted to have a delve into my families history, but I expect they are all a bunch of rouges and pirates…
:027:

1 Like

Aaaarrrrgggghhhh!

2 Likes

No, not interested. It’s the here and now that matters (exception is researching ancestry for medical reasons if they would even have that information). I would rather focus on today, how to live my life better etc. than dig into musty records of people I never knew.

3 Likes

I agree with you completely, Heatherbelle. My mother wanted to look into a couple of generations of her side of the family a number of years ago, so I helped her with that until she found what she wanted. We both dropped the matter after that. I felt no connection to any of the family, personally, and I fail to see how a few names and dates in a Census was supposed to be so exciting or even useful. I was, and still am, completely disinterested in genealogy. .

2 Likes

I am interested but it is so time consuming. I don’t think I approach things in the correct methodical way. I flit all over the place instead of just following one line. I am on Ancestry and have hundreds of DNA matches.

2 Likes

My ancestors probably never done Ancestry, so, why should I?

1 Like

It’s quite useful for health risks. Many of our ancestors didn’t live long enough to have the luxury of worrying about chronic conditions in old age.

1 Like

I can trace my family all the way back to my grandparents.

2 Likes

While my parents were alive, I didn’t learn much about our family history. It’s something I really want to know. So yes, I’m eager to discover my past.

3 Likes

Lucky Them???

2 Likes

Sometimes it’s best not to know Annie, and worry could possibly produce illnesses you otherwise wouldn’t have had…

An example would be if you have the BRCA gene there is a very high probability that you will go on to develop breast cancer. (this applies to men too). Worth being checked out so that you can plan ahead for anything like that and avoid the chances of non-detection. Although they will hopefully soon have a blood test for several cancers that were previously hard to detect.

2 Likes

What can you learn about health risks from old church registers other than somebody died young, Annie? Was a fatal disease as the cause of death mentioned anywhere? Even in the sixties when my grandparents died, no one knew exactly what the cause of death was. What could they have known, say, a hundred years ago?

2 Likes

The genetic analysis gives you a list of known health risks based on your DNA. It will tend to be ranked as high, average or low. Most of these ancestry sites offer it as an extra.

2 Likes

I didn’t know that they have my ancestors’ DNA. Where from?

1 Like

Your DNA is your ancestors’ DNA. Some companies can even give it a timeline back to prehistoric times depending on your purse. A friend was informed of her Neanderthal genes…

2 Likes

It would be hard to disprove such information :smile:

2 Likes

What I love about about ancestry is mulling over how people must have lived and indeed how they died.
It fire’s up the imagination, at least as far as I’m concerned!

One day I shall pass too…if there’s anything you want to know about me beforehand I’ll send you the piccies in a brown paper envelope… Free postage @ Azz

3 Likes

Yes I am very much interested in the history of our Ancestors. I find it fascinating.
A DNA test finding thousands of 3rd , 4th cousins in the UK, USA, Canada etc… How did they get there throughout the last century? What was their individual story? I joined 2 ancestry sites and traced back our famlily tree back to 1650/1700 ies. Each story brings you to a new country, and period of time. It is like reading many different books all at once… That’s fascinating…

In the process while researching I have met some very nice 3rd /4th cousins my age living cross border just a half hour drive away.

3 Likes

Now isn’t that fascinating and exciting?! :wink:

2 Likes