Are you COVID self-testing

I have received three notifications on my ServiceNSW app since Christmas telling me to watch for symptoms but I haven’t self tested for two reasons:

No symptoms
No RAT kits available because they are snapped up by people who really need to get tested because of the failure of all levels of government to order any.

The only precaution I have taken is to buy an oxygen monitor for if I do get Covid, I think it was $23 so cheap enough.

3 Likes

No home testing kits available here at the moment - most of our local chemists have a notice on the door saying ‘don’t ask for LFTs - we are out of stock’.

2 Likes

My son is home, because he has tested positive, its a minefield in the NHS at the moment, and, we are connected to it. On the testing front, we are given ample kits.

2 Likes

My youngest daughter, who works in a pharmacy, has tested positive for covid.
She is self isolating in her bedroom, and we have a system in place for meals, clothes washing etc.
The rest of us are self testing using lateral flow every day. So far all have been negative.
She’s has had it for a week now and has started to self test but is still showing positive.

2 Likes

I’ve been sent a pcr test kit, and been told to use it if I think I may have the virus. And I will. But I haven’t.

2 Likes

and I’ve been told to go for jab No.4 three months after jab No.3 which is about now. I went to the GP reception yesterday and they said they’ll text me if & when.

There was something on the beeb News this morning about 4th jabs not being required.

2 Likes

I had to go for my first ever covid test this morning at the local hospital as I am having an Angiogram there on Tuesday, I have been told to self-isolate now till Tuesday

2 Likes

I got Covid just before Xmas …I was poorly with it , at seven days after my positive PCR test I did a lateral flow test which showed me as still positive so I continued to isolate and at ten days I did another lateral flow… still positive. I contacted 111 and they told me thats ok I needn’t isolate now as I’m not infectious and I could continue to test positive for up to fourteen weeks.

This is very confusing and it makes me wonder about the validity of all these positive daily figures. Surely if people like me continue to test positive even though we are not infectious lots of others must be the same?

5 Likes

What’s the point of testing in that case. How do you know if you’re infectious or just showing positive. Thanks for telling me that I had no idea. It’s crazy, but then it’s COVID.

3 Likes

Two people (1 male, 1 female - unrelated and unknown to each other) that I know have had positive tests with no symptoms. That’s a bit of a worry - both were in (or attended) hospital with urine infections and I read somewhere that a urine infection was a sign that the covid was shedding itself from the body. Yet no other symptoms were present and they only discovered they were positive when a test was done. :woman_shrugging:

3 Likes

Hubby does a LF test when he goes to work at the local schools at exam times, that has to be every 3 days. If he’s tested positive he has to do a PCR test.
A few neighbours have had Covid, one couple are in their late 30s. They’ve had the 3 doses and they say that it’s like a very bad cold.

I have to have cataract surgery on my left eye in 10 days but I don’t need to test only self isolate for 10 days. They will phone me a few days before to ask if I’m well.

1 Like