Are You A Bargain Hunter

I am a bargain hunter, not for food, but for anything else.
I love buying ‘stuff’.

2 Likes

No I’m not I try and not buy stuff at all if I can help it .
I want to get rid of stuff not buy more !
Having said that bought a lovely gardening book yesterday for £2 from a second hand bookshop .

3 Likes

We only buy yellow tagged food items if they are what we would normally eat or something we would like to try.

2 Likes

What’s yellow tagged food items, Percy?

I have a friend who does this. He even freezes ham. I’m sure he saves tons of money. There is a whole excited crowd when tesco does the reductions. It’s like a piranha fest.

1 Like

Food items with yellow stickers on them because they’re close to or on their sell by date.

1 Like

Apparently there is an app you can download which tells you where there will be reduced food for those in food poverty group. It was mentioned on LBC yesterday. I’m not sure whether you have to satisfy certain criteria.

1 Like

That’s a bit different though, Annie.
Raiding the Reduced shelves for shopping when you can easily afford normal prices, just leaves nothing for those who genuinly can’t pay alot for their food.

2 Likes

That’s very true imo, I know a woman who is extremely wealthy, yet, she does just that.:-1:

I do look for bargains but if there’s nothing going I don’t worry. Lidl do a a section where stuff is really reduced as it’s on it’s sell by date. I recently bought 2kg of lovely chicken breasts for £2.50. I used 2 that night and froze the rest. They would have cost about £10. I find Tesco don’t reduce their produce very much.

It avoids wasting food which is always good IMO. I don’t do it myself but the friend I have who does is on a restricted income.

Join Our Food Waste Movement | Too Good To Go

Is it this one, Annie? Apparently it can be very hit or miss. The boxes are random…you can’t choose. But the prices are so cheap…so for say, £3 you could get a box of fresh fruit & veggies with a bit of meat thrown in, OR you could end up with a box of chocolate milkshake.:woman_shrugging:

I don’t go hunting for any old bargain but if there is something I want or need like a coffee machine or something…then I make sure I get it for the best price…I’m Yorkshire after all so what do you expect :slight_smile:

1 Like

I used to be a huge bargain hunter, but then I realised I was buying things simply because they were a bargain, and not because I really wanted them. So I gradually stopped (lockdown helped enormously of course, because there were no shops open)

1 Like

Bargains come in all shapes and sizes though and not just on the reduced prices/damaged tins shelves.

This morning in Tesco, I bought a 550g block of Cathedral City mature cheddar for £3.25. Next to it on the same shelf were 350g blocks of the same cheese priced at £3.30. Now, if that isn’t a bargain, I don’t know what is.

Never look at the price pauline, if I fancy it, I buy it…

Last week I went for my C19 Booster - to an unfamlier village. Went earlier because I was not sure where to go. Had a look at the local shops - one of which was a charity shop in aid of the Hospice. They were having a sale. Found this lovely evening skirt - black with gold, silver, and bronze embroidery. It was brand new - still had it’s original shop tags attached. It had been £25 new, put in the charity shop at £10, reduced to £5, reduced again to £2 - final reduction 50p!!.
That is what I call a real bargain.

IMG_9654 (3)

1 Like

I have always maintained you can spend a fortune on bargains :wink: :smirk: :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I am a bargain hunter,…and I love a good bargain.

2 Likes

I agree, all those small money purchases soon add up.

1 Like