Anyone see Jupiter?

Last night, Jupiter was the closest to Earth it has been for 59 years. The next time it is as close (367 million miles) will be 2129.

It appeared as a huge bright spot in the sky - I took this with my phone camera so its a bit fuzzy

jupiter

I got my camera out and tried again later when it got dark

Not very NASA like, but it was still exciting to a space geek like me! :smiley: Fairly sure the spots are some of the 80+ moons that float around it. (Unlikely, but you never know!)

6 Likes

Jupiter made its closest approach to Earth since 1963 on Monday, September 26, according to NASA.

The largest planet in our solar system was in opposition, meaning the Earth was positioned directly between the Gas Giant and the Sun. That gave stargazers across the country the perfect opportunity to witness Jupiter - and some of its moons - clearly for the first time, and the resulting pictures were spectacular.

Kenneth Mckenzie, from Bathgate, captured some clear images of the planet on his new iPhone.

Amazing …:icon_eek:

4 Likes

Ooooh! I do like that :+1: On the phone as well, amazing! (Wonder why his photo is blue though :thinking: ) I haven’t seen anything about other people’s shots online, I’ll need to go and have a nosy.

2 Likes

Oh shoot I missed it!!!

Wonder if @realspeed managed to take any photos…

1 Like

not even any stars due to cloud cover. didn’t even know which way or time to look anyway

1 Like

Fabulous pics thanks for sharing .

I so wanted to see it , l looked to east thick cloud :grimacing:

1 Like

I forgot.

1 Like

Usually Venus is the shiniest one in a clear sky, but the other night the skies seemed clearer up the middle of the UK, so Jupiter could be seen properly, given it was so close to Earth. It was opposite to where the sun sets (just for future reference in a hundred years time!)

I’m sure there will be other space events coming up though.

1 Like

Great pictures!

1 Like

Thanks…I just find it incredible how much detail can be caught from something so many millions of miles away. Even with a phone :astonished:

1 Like

Well done Pixie, I missed that! :grinning:

1 Like

Thanks Mags, it was a lucky clear sky…usually its so dour and cloudy here, I can barely see the moon, never mind stars and planets! :sun_behind_large_cloud:

1 Like

I didn’t see Jupiter .
I occasionally like to gaze upon the moon, just a modest pair of binoculars does the job.

1 Like

I stare into space quite a lot :joy:

1 Like