Any Laptop Experts here?

It’s that blue’y screen with teletext writing on it which get’s accessed at boot up (if you’re quick enough to hit the del or esc button suggested while the screen is briefly black.

Ahh, right…well I tried to quickly press buttons when i opened it, but as its not even booting up, nothing happens. Its just stares blankly at me

Start at the very beginning, is there a power light on when its plugged in with its charger.

Yes Caricature. Its white-ish and is at the edge of the laptop, not at the power button bit.

The technical expression is “it’s a stiff” .Dead. Kaput. Pushing up the fjords.

Does that indicate its charged ? mine is blue when fully charged.

I haven’t noticed Caricature…I didn’t check on that light after I know its charging. However, on this little Chromebook I have, the light changes from red (charging) to blue (fully charged).

See…paying attention now! :+1:

Try to start it again and keep pressing f10, this on an hp gets to the bios if it can, see what happens.

1 Like

Ok…yes its HP. Elitebook…ok hang on…see the thing is, you are all thinking something happens when I lift up the lid…it doesn’t. It doesn’t “wake” or whirr into action. Its just a lump of black plastic. Pressing power, or F10 makes no difference. :frowning:

On the plus side, it might just be a simple component failure and thus cheap to replace. If so, then your hard drive might be fully intact, along with the data on it.

At least its established it wont start to even get to the bios, @PixieKnuckles any independent pc repairers around, probably cheaper and more savvy than say the help in PC world.

Agree 100%. They won’t have huge overheads which PCWorld will have.

I suspect that the fact that Pixie had to change the battery was a symptom of an impending component failure.

I’d rather go to PC World, if I’m honest…there are pop up shops round here that claim to fix phones and laptops, but I’m distrustful of them…one minute there they are, the next week the shops shut. :open_mouth:

Yes, the battery was discharging awfully fast from a full charge. I got a new one and replaced it, but clearly the damage was done :cry:

PM, If you do decide to take it somewhere to be fixed, I suggest that you ask them for an estimate, for the cost of repairing, rather than going straight ahead to repair it.

If it’s not patently obvious, to them, they will try the usual first:-

1. Battery & Charging.
  2. USB Restore disk
  3. replace/check memory
  4. Temporarily replace hard drive with a known bootable hard drive.
  5. Bios & Or motherboard.

With the right spare components that shouldn’t cost much more than an hour’s work.

Also getting an estimate gives you a chance of binning the laptop if fixing it is going to cost more than you would pay for a complete newish used one .

Just a thought!

Please let us know.

When my old desktop harddrive died I had a new one fitted and it has been fine for many years. the fan is playing up but that can be replaced at some stage.

I did also loose a lot of old photos…

When this laptop that I am using now feel fatal I got our my recovery disks and tried them but they would not fire up…Gave up and installed the windows 7 disk I had for the desk top PC.
just add another point as when I copied the recovery disks from the Sony Laptop it was windows 7…then I took a free download of Windows 10…would that cause the Recovery Disks not to function…?

.All has been ok until about 6 months ago when the letter would start jumping about whilst I am typing…it is irritating to say the least.

Now it has decided to at any given moment to go all pink writing as it I wanted to delete it…one force type of a letter, and whoosh all vanished, …seems like some settings somewhere, or is it another test of my patience…

.Any ideas…this laptop was a Sony VPCEB1E0E…about 10+ years old as well…

I suggest that you make a new recovery disk, for W10, now that you’re upgraded.
If you have an SD card recovery disk for W7, it would make sense to get a new SD card - 32GB minimum, 64Gb better.

First thing to suspect is the app you’re using to do your printing. Maybe the software drivers are old and groggy (like me), maybe the actual app is no longer any good?

Sony have a help desk here:- [Faulty pixels policy - VAIO | Sony UK]

I think the pixels thing is about TV but I got to their site by typing in the name of the Sony VPCEB1E0E you mentioned.

(https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/laptop-pc-vpc-series/vpceb1e0e/articles/S700023588)

You might want to do a search on :- Sony VPCEB1E0E printing issues

What print s/w do you use?

I use the Desk Top wired one… …the printer is in the Lounge connected to that one… and I am in a cosy little room with a laptop that was ok to use the Printer but at this moment it is not functioning…settings again,need to look at them to allow one to see the other…like it use to do…Remember the sony crashed so nor sure how it can be recovered again but maybe I should really invest in a new model anyway…Cheers though for assistance…

Are we talking Wifi Printing here, Dianne?

I knew I would confuse you…so yes the sony was upgraded to 10…then it crashed and I used the the Windows 7 cd disk that came with the Desk Top PC…so forget the Recovery Disks maybe…
I had enabled the lap top to speak with the Desk Top PC ok but somewhere along the line it has lost that link…it should be easy to enable again…just have not got around to looking at that issue…