Any gout sufferers on here?

My poor husband is completely incapacitated by an attack of gout which started this morning when he got out of bed. He almost collapsed with pain when his foot touched the floor.

This is his second attack in a fortnight…

Everything is put on hold now until he recovers.
He is reclining with his foot elevated & I’m waiting on his every need!!

Anybody on here suffer with gout?

1 Like

Yes used to suffer with it, but since I gave up drinking 2+ years ago have so far have been gout free.

I went through a stage of getting it, it was horrible. I had 9 or 10 bouts in a year, in my thumb as well as my toe

And then my doctor suggested changing my blood pressure tablets because the one I was on sometimes causes it and I haven’t had it since

So if your husband is on blood pressure medicine, check to see if gout is one of the side effects

For pain relief, paracetamol and Ibuprofen wouldn’t touch it and the only thing that gave any relief was Naproxen, you can only get it on prescription but ask if he can have it

1 Like

Colchicine Tablets are what he needs, they sort it out very quickly. You need to get them from the Doctors though.
Only downside is they can give you the runs, so have some imodium handy just incase.
Worked every time for my husband, he always knew a couple of days beforehand that he was going to get a bout, so he was straight on the phone to the doctor for a prescription.

I get it occasionally Carol but ibuprofen usually does the trick. Bad circulation and the cold sets it off, with a little help from the diet. Uric acid accumulates in the blood and migrates to the synovial joints where the acid containing blood pools and turns into crystals causing pain and inflammation. Colchicine is a nasty drug with side effects (but it does work swiftly in a bad attack) but if the symptoms can be identified early, ibuprofen should stop it from getting worse.

Allopurinol is usually prescribed for long term control but will not help an attack once it’s begun. It never worked for me.

Colchicine works and quite quickly but take it with caution because the side effects can be dire :fearful:

It gave me the runs, stomach cramps and sickness so I couldn’t take it when I needed to go to work.

And it can have other very severe and dangerous side effects and is very poisonous if you overdose so be careful

I forgot to say, an ice pack on the joint helps a bit too

And my granny used to swear by an Epsom salt foot bath.

I don’t think there’s any scientific evidence but I tried it when I had it because I was so desperate I’d have tried anything and I thought it helped a bit but maybe it was a placebo effect

He’s always got a supply of colchcine in just in case gout strikes. He’s been taking it for the past 40 years. Gout started with Tony when he was quite a young man.

I think he may have become immune to it a little as the last attack of gout a few weeks ago it took 4 days before it felt better…

Does he take allopurinol Carol?
Gout can often be triggered by something he ate…Check to see if he has eaten anything different over the last week or so.
An attack of gout is not necessarily from high levels of uric acid in the blood, it’s the kidney’s inability to remove it. You should drink lots of water prior to an attack. Dehydration can also be the cause.

No he refused to take something on a daily basis.

He just takes colchicine when the gout strikes.

1 Like

I have never suffered from it myself but I know several people who have. Apparently you take the drug to cure it until you can shit through the eye of a needle when you stop taking it.

My first friend who had this affliction was, like me at the time in our early 40s, at work it was all he could do to walk across the room, the rest of the shift carried him (sometimes literally) untill the tablets solved the problem. He was in a state of shock because he was not permitted prawns, a delicacy we spent most of night shifts catching.

wekk he is asking for trouble time and time again - gout needs controlling for life not just when it flares up but san faire rein??

If you go on youtube Carol,theres ideas for what to eat to help ease it.
Just a thought,i only saw it less than an hour ago,08,05am England.