Another forum closing

I was sad to hear that Buzz50 is closing. I was a member there in the beginning and Mike was a lovely chap

But I was wondering if some of the refugees on there might like to try it here?

They’ve got a thread going to suggest other forums so if anyone here is a member, perhaps you could recommend us? I can’t log on any more, I haven’t been on there for a good few years

But it would be nice to make anyone thinking of moving on welcome and nice for us to have some new chums

5 Likes

welcome @Maree i seem to remember your name from Buzz i was also a member there but found this place a few years ago and i settled in here easily. i gave up on buzz when mike started letting ads in i am same and cannot sign in there these days. but do not miss it. all here are friendly welcoming and helpful. hope to see you posting soon.

4 Likes

I was a member there as well. I can not log on anymore because I have not signed in for over 6 months. Subsequently removed from members list.
I visited an hour ago and noticed this forum has been suggested as an alternative site several times.
I’m sure some Buzz50 members will join here.

5 Likes

Have been a member of Buzz for 14 years, it did take a dive when ads started to appear, and worse still these days with ads top bottom and sides, and that move, so annoying. One good thing was the meet ups that were arranged, i was part of the Manchester grooup, met up twice a month in and around the Manchester areas, a meal and a few drinkies. We often had twenty or more, all nice peoples, i’m sure some will arrive here, there have been some here for a long time

4 Likes

I was a member of Buzz50 for some time, too. IIRC, Mike started on his own then Mila joined him. Sadly, Mike’s life was cut short by cancer but Mila carried on. Unsurprisingly, she engaged professional support and that’s when, IMO, the “character” of the site changed - I left soon after.

Nevertheless, the first few years were great fun … :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I have been in Buzz for around twelve years. Some things I liked about it, some things I didn’t. Regardless, shame it has to close and hopefully some members will make their way here.

3 Likes

I can still log-in to Buzz and have just beaten the big drum for this forum.

5 Likes

Oh well done, it must be horrible to lose a forum you enjoy so nice to suggest it as an option

Did you mention that Azz is organising monthly chat rooms? I know a lot on there live their chatrooms and it’s bound to be something they’ll miss

3 Likes

I’m afraid I don’t have any happy memories of that Forum. I, along with numerous others, got my ass kicked out, for not kowtowing the party line. The moderation was dreadful, your posts got deleted if you did not agree with the hierarchy. Chockful of woke and PC posts it was. I’m chuffed it’s closing down. :rofl: :joy:

8 Likes

No, but I just did now.

4 Likes

Just to make sure the info is correct: Is Azz the owner of this forum or just in charge of it? Does anyone know?

2 Likes

I was on and off Buzz50 for 12 years. Mike built the site to be a friendly well moderated site. Bullys were not tolerated and were quite rightly moved on sharpish. MIke was very hands on appearing in regular chat videos. Mike died about 7 years ago and his Russian wife Mila kept the site in his honour. But it was a struggle for her and I believe the site has run its course. I do think many Buzz50 members will like the forums here. I like O50F so far :grinning: It is a more modern site and so the interface is clearer as you would expect of course. So I think the transition has been very easy. I will recommend O50F to members of Buzz50. :innocent:

6 Likes

Azz is the owner Dachs and also does the admin, moderating and IT stuff :two_hearts:

5 Likes

This is why I joined this forum. I had just joined Buzz50 and then I saw it was closing. I had asked one of the other members about any other forums and she recommended this one.

4 Likes

Ah yes…Buzz50.
Where I sneaked back in under another name to make a few suggestions and promptly had a comment removed!
All the overfifties forums are seeking to add to their membership but many of Buzzes members are already in other places anyway.
But I added another forum to my list that I hadn’t realized existed before.
I got on with Mike and Buzz was a vibrant happy place under him.
And well done to Mila for keeping it going for so long.
I assume February 29th is when the server fee is due-no one thinks about how much that is.
But without Mikes technical expertise it suffered problems other forums don’t and after his death the moderation was a bit over the top.
Which is what caused me to leave.
And how did I offend this time?
On their alternative forums thread someone mentioned the friendly moderation in other places.
I concurred and pointed out Buzz was the only place I had ever had(innocuous) posts removed.
That comment was taken down.
You can’t run a forum like that.
Here-lovely and friendly!

7 Likes

Exactly.

2 Likes

And where else kicks out members who do not log in for a bit?

2 Likes

I was told by admin that if I never logged on for 3 months then my account would be closed.
I asked Mila if this was true and she confirmed it.

1 Like

Yeah…I went back in one of my former SW guises to the add to post on the Alternative Forums thread.

1 Like

Members get automatically deleted after 3 months inactivity but are free to rejoin anytime they want, this is what it says to their terms and conditions.

3 Likes