Another DIY project Seat

Another thread I have dragged over from the other site. I had an old defunct solar powered water feature in the form of a glass fibre milk churn that I wanted to turn into a seat,

so …

I took the seat of a bar stool

to use as a pattern

to make the basic shape of a tractor seat, but in wood, using the top of an old fish tank.

Roughing out.

Shaping complete with a little trompe l’oeil (to deceive the eye.) It’s actually a thick block of wood, but the idea is to make it look like a piece of thin cast iron.

I decided making tear drop shaped slots was too much like hard work, so I bought a set of 22mm holes to install instead.

Now to make a start on the milk churn.

A few coats of Hammerite to make it look like aluminium.

Being only thin, hollow glass fibre, the rim was too weak to take the weight of a people, so I decided to make a lid. First, a plug to spread the load.

Two concentric circles and the cap of another churn as a pattern.

If the cap fits …

… paint it.

Poor cow.

Best in show!

Nicely churned out.

Final assembly.

Look at it from my point of view.

Now I just need my Lovely Cousin to decide where to put it.

Here, next to a French churn?

Or here in front of the dining room?

4 Likes

Lovely, enjoyed going through the stages, I loved the way you painted that cow, what paint did you use, was it gloss?

Beautiful garden fruitcake,:heartpulse:

1 Like

Thank you.

I used Common or garden silver, black, and white Hammerite smooth paint, and red Humbrol enamel paint as used on things like Airfix models.

1 Like

most interesting and thanks

1 Like

You really are quite the artisan Phil, another beautiful item created with great skill, all credit to you. :+1:

1 Like

It certainly helps if you have the proper power tools fruitcake.

I watch woman mainly on YouTube, making these type of projects, they have all the necessary tools, must save them a fortune, the stuff you can make is unbelievable.:+1::+1:

1 Like

Yes, having the right tools is very important. Always buy the best you can afford, although over the years I have inherited quite a few, including the bandsaw.

1 Like