Ankle turning

My left ankle very often turns outwards for no reason.

It happened the other day. I was walking on flat ground wearing flat shoes and walking slowly. For no reason my left ankle went over. If I hadn’t been holding Tony’s arm I would have gone full length on the floor.

Does this happen to anybody on here & how do you cope with it?

I was wondering about an ankle brace or special exercises…

I’ve been signed off work for several weeks now with a sprained ankle, a median sprain to be precise. I’m fairly limited as to how far I can walk ( no sprinting ) but my left foot is most definitely at an angle when I walk, almost Donald Duck like. I’ve been given some routine exercises and will be able to self refer for physio in a couple of weeks.

The odd thing is that I quite literally put weight on my left foot while getting up from the the arm chair and the next thing I knew I was on the floor using robust language.

Defo get it checked out Carol, despite all the doom and gloom the NHS have been spot on, at least in my experience.

It’s never been broken and I have no pain in it at all.

It just goes over for no reason I can think of.

Carol, l wonder if it’s to do with the tendons or ligaments in your ankles? I suppose as they wear they lose their elasticity and don’t provide the stability they’re meant to give.

1 Like

I was thinking along the same lines …

@carol
Does your GP surgery have a phsyiotherapist at all?
Mine does and you can self-refer and see a physiothrapist on the NHS.

I have little feeling in my left foot, nor much control over my left ankle after my back operation and I did have a couple of falls at the time. This was over twenty years ago. I have leaned to watch where I put my foot and how I control it, this awareness means that I have been able to walk over quite rough ground without falling.

It is simply a matter of being aware of your limitations and watching what you do.