Amsterdam bans cruise ships to limit visitors and curb pollution

It’s different Chelsea and my GPS didn’t work properly because it was registering the ships movement and not mine…If you get up early enough, most cruise ships I’ve travelled on allow you to run around the lower decks. They even have a plaque demonstrating the actual distance around the runners deck so you can log your distance and speed.
Now back to topic…

It would appear that due to the pressures of the green crusade and the decline since covid, cruising has probably had it’s day though. The situation with using heavy oil and pollution is only an excuse by people who despise the decadence associated with cruising, and have never considered cruising anyway. If you are going to hold cruise ships to account, you must also look at the way goods are moved around the world. Tankers, cargo ships, and recreational seagoing private craft and cruisers account for more than 80% of marine traffic.

This is a live map of the Mediterranean shipping at 8:30pm this evening.
The green and red ships are cargo (tankers, freighters and container ships)
Among the blue and purple there are fishing boats and ferries along with cruise ships which account for about 5% of the traffic in the Med…And yet they are getting the blame for the pollution. If people are happy for their food, white goods, electronics, timber, steel supplies, vehicles, petrol, diesel and oil, wind turbines, solar panels, and just about everything else in our shops and Amazon warehouses, including the materials to build the Amazon warehouses…Then just spare a moment to think where the pollution is actually coming from…

Well that’s disappointing to read. What’s up Canada.? :flushed: I expected better from them.
How very disappointing.

1 Like

You make a very, very valid point. Marine traffic, especially the large freight ships, are a huge part of the pollution problem. And a much bigger polluter than cruise ships (apart from the poo issue of course!!). Which is one reason why encouraging long distance trade is surely the very worst thing to do.
Now let’s not mention new trade agreements with Pacific rim countries or even the trashing of trade with near neighbours as a pair of massive backward steps here…

1 Like

A valid point indeed but nothing to do with Amsterdam or visitors … :man_shrugging:

In fact, given the issues raised by that point, a new thread would, IMO, be more appropriate to discuss those (far more complex) issues of shipping in general, which are identified here:

Environmental effects of shipping - Wikipedia.

The environmental effects of shipping include air pollution, water pollution, acoustic, and oil pollution. Ships are responsible for more than 18% of nitrogen oxides pollution, and 3% of greenhouse gas emissions.

1 Like