Amsterdam bans cruise ships to limit visitors and curb pollution

I’d rather save up the pennies and splash out on one of these… maybe in the next life :+1:

There certainly are:

https://www.cruise118.com/advice/stag-and-hen-party-cruises/

What can stags and hens do on-board a ship?

Cruise ships are packed full of facilities that stags and hens will love. Some examples include:

• Bars – Each ship has several different bars such as cocktail bars, Champagne bars, sports bars, poolside bars and pubs. Some ships even have sub-zero ice bars or bionic bars with drinks served by robots!
  • Nightclubs – Cruise ship nightclubs are open until the early hours; the perfect place to celebrate the last night of freedom
  • Shows – The West End-style shows on cruise ships are absolutely fantastic, a great way to spend an evening with friends
  • Spa – Your party will love pampering themselves in the spa, with facilities such as saunas and steam rooms as well as a range of treatments
  • Outdoor Hot Tubs – You’ll find several hot tubs on the top deck of each ship; the ideal place to relax and chat with your party

Negotiate a “free” drinks package and party on … :beers: :clinking_glasses: :champagne:

1 Like

We bought a used 14 foot fishing boat with a 25 HP motor which is a lot of fun in water. It didn’t really cost us much at all. There’s even strong inflatable dingy type boats that you can add a motor to. They aren’t as safe or reliable but you always have the option to use the ores

1 Like

Hardly a “cruise ship”, though … :grinning:

1 Like

And there’s some pretty decent and affordable kayaks on the market too, quite a range, I’d defo go for a fishing model after spending just a little time in the gym working on the weights for the upper body, cardiovascular could also do with some serious attention I’m reluctant to add.

1 Like

Exactly! :wink:

Exactly why individual boats are better. :blush:
You couldn’t pay me enough to go on a cruise ship.

Very affordable. I bought my kayak for about $400. It was on sale for $100 off and I love it. It’s great for fresh water and salt water, has a waterproof place for a phone, a water bottle holder, and a safe storage place for stuff.
It’s VERY fun, great exercise and so worth it.
It’s also light enough to carry myself.

1 Like

I don’t think it ever was on P&O ships d00d, but I quite like it, but it’s nice to take off those high heels at the end of the night, it does make dinner something special. Of course if it’s too much trouble for some people they can still dine in steerage.

I was only joking Chelsea, I don’t do recreational drugs…However, my daughter purchased us all a marijuana lollypop, I planted mine in her bag when we returned to the ship. At my age I figured I was too old to spend time in the slammer… :sunglasses:
I also joked about booking to go to Amsterdam again. I’d rather poke my eyes out with a sharpened pencil…
I have loved cruising though, and have done plenty, but with a retired passport, medical issues making travel insurance eye wateringly expensive, and I don’t think cruising is the same now as it was before the covid years, I doubt I’ll be walking the decks again any time soon.

1 Like

To be fair Lincs, I have never considered cruising to be the best way to see exotic places and it’s not the reason why I love cruising. You don’t really get long enough to give a place the justice it deserves, but it’s nice to get off the ship occasionally. I don’t like the crowds and I can well understand why locals get upset with legions of tourists invading their towns and cities. Although we would enjoy a coffee and sandwich while ashore, we would always return to the ship to eat, why wouldn’t you? The food onboard was fantastic and free if you don’t count the initial cost of the cruise.

It is a bit decadent for some Chelsea, but what are holidays all about? Being waited on hand and foot, with all the food you can eat. Perhaps a run round the upper decks first thing, then up for breakfast. Some quiet time in the library either reading or catching up with the forum on one of the computers. 40 lengths of the pool before lunch and then perhaps a circuit of the gym or a game of deck Quoits, basketball or cards. Finish off the afternoon with a full body massage (a bit pricey but worth it) then dress for dinner and afterwards perhaps a show or a quiet drink in one of the many bars on ship…

Haha! That’s funny. My parents absolutely loved going on boat cruises. They stayed in Florida 6 months of the year, visit Britain yearly and went on 2 cruises a year. My parents travelled a lot and were far more social than I.

I figured you were joking about that but nothing surprises me any more. Infused lolly pops are delicious and so are gummy bears and flavoured chocolate. Plus I wasn’t sure what the airports would do. They’d probably bust you but you already know that. :thinking::joy:

1 Like

I presume you mean the MS Vindhem. That popular ship does take the same route every night, but the atmosphere changes from day-to-day. Sometimes it’s folksy, with a popular band playing easy listening music. Other times it’s a full-on party with loud rock music or any requested by younger passengers :cocktail::beers::beer:

I did not know that the atmosphere changed so much. Nonetheless its a very different type of cruise!

1 Like

More information on Amsterdam:

The city drew about 9 million tourists in 2021 and 20 million visitors last year, city data shows, and the cruise law is the latest step toward dissuading visitors including

• a ban on smoking marijuana in public in the red-light district
  • earlier closing times for restaurants
  • the end of in-store alcohol sales after 4 p.m. from Thursday to Sunday

Amsterdam Mayor Femke Halsema complained last year that cruise ships brought nothing substantial to the city, only letting visitors hit the streets for a few hours of partying before they were called back on board.

More than 3.8 million passengers have gone through the Cruise Port Amsterdam since 2000, its website says, and more than 2,100 ships have docked in that port.

Environmental concerns also contributed to the decision—the European Federation for Transport and Environment said in June that 63 cruise ships owned by the Carnival Corporation emitted 43% more sulphur oxides (1) than Europe’s 291 million cars in 2022.

(1) Emissions of air pollutants in the UK – Sulphur dioxide (SO2) - GOV.UK

Sulphur dioxide (SO2) is a corrosive, acidic gas which is predominantly produced from the combustion of coal or crude oil (2).

Direct exposure to SO2 is associated with asthma and chronic bronchitis and can lead to irritation and constriction of the airways. SO2 emitted from coal burning played a key contributory role to thousands of respiratory-related deaths during the London smog in 1952. SO2 is also known to combine with nitrogen oxides and ammonia to form particulate matter which has serious health implications (see the particulate matter section in this release for more information).

SO2 can also combine with water vapour in the atmosphere to form acid rain that may be transported large distances. Acid rain can cause significant damage to ecosystems such as forests and freshwater habitats. Emissions of SO2 from the UK that landed as acid rain in Scandinavia in the 1970s and 1980s resulted in severe damage to habitats there.

(2) What Fuel Do Cruise Ships Use?

Traditional cruise ships rely heavily on heavy fuel oil, also known as bunker fuel. This oil is thick, black, and has a tar-like consistency.

The low cost of heavy fuel oil has made it the primary fuel source for marine vessel propulsion – such as cruise ships. However, there is widespread criticism of the use of this fuel due to the damage it causes to the environment through oil spills and emissions of toxic compounds. That said, it continues to be commonly used in cruise ships today, often blended with diesel.

Shocking … :scream_cat:

do cruise liners leak fuel?

t is estimated that cruise ships use, on average, 150 tons of heavy fuel oil every day. With the bilge oil mixing with oceanic water, the use of this oil causes marine pollution. Faulty engine systems and improper repair work are two areas where oil could leak and mix with the oceanic water.

1 Like

… and not just oil:

A large cruise ship releases around 1,000,000 gallons of grey water (from sinks, laundries, showers and galleys, containing chemicals, metals and minerals) during a single week’s voyage.

Cruise ships deposit around 210,000 gallons of human sewage (classified as blackwater), into the ocean during a week’s voyage. Sewage includes waste from the toilets and the health facilities on the cruise ship. Such wastewater is rich in bacteria and algae, adversely affecting the oceanic life-forms and the entire marine ecosystem.

In 2019, Carnival Cruise Lines was fined 60 million US dollars for obstructing justice and illegally dumping vast quantities of oil, plastics and garbage into the sea.

Appalling … :scream_cat:

Bunker Fuel Oil :point_right: Heavy fuel oil - Wikipedia :-1::-1::cry:

Quite … :slightly_smiling_face:

Being waited on hand & foot has never been something I cared for. That was my parents style. I think that’s why they had kids- to serve them.

My idea of a good vacation NEVER involves thousands of people doing the same thing. In fact, we couldn’t be more polar opposite. My idea of a good vacation usually involves a bit of travelling in the car with our beloved dogs , great food to eat which we usually put together ourselves ( so we know what’s in it ) and water to canoe, kayak, boat or swim in. My husband will usually fish while I swim.

We used to do interior canoeing where you carry everything in with you including the canoe while portaging. Most of the food you eat , you either catch yourself or forage. There are no servants making your bed or serving fancy drinks. Besides which, I don’t drink but there’s nothing quite like sitting beside the water listening to the loons. It’s so very peaceful.

Spending time at a cottage in a nice area is wonderful or even staying at a nice , clean hotel that doesn’t cost a fortune is also enjoyable while travelling.

I used to vacation to get away from everyone. Now that we are retired, we are permanently away from everyone and can see the ocean from where we live. In fact, it’s a lovely view and I’m perfectly ok with serving myself. I prefer it.