Amazon bought the company that makes the Roomba. Anti-trust researchers and data privacy experts say it's 'the most dangerous, threatening acquisition in the company's history'

Amazon just acquired iRoomba, Roomba’s parent company. Anti-trust watchdogs and privacy watchdogs are both looking on

Roomba can remember up to 10 layouts of houses and can be removed to other houses to show those layouts.

Amazon already owns Ring security systems which is a doorbell security surveillance system. Ring has already given information from its footage to police without any warrants.

1 Like

Jeez, this is scary! I watched a YT video some time ago now, who requested his purchase history from Amazon and fought with them over it as they were reluctant to hand it over. Eventually they did, but it made worrying reading.

I haven’t thought of it like that…:frowning_face: So creepy!

1 Like

Doesn’t worry me I have a Dyson :slight_smile:

2 Likes

And I’ll never be buying another of those after his support for Brexit! :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I dunno, it all seems a bit far fetched to me, spying vacuum cleaners, would it be worth the bother?

1 Like

Yes…if they want to burgle your house. They know where the doors and windows are, what to avoid when breaking in (like the sideboard jutting annoyingly out from the little reading nook).

Sideboard?, reading nook?..oh how the other half live…

1 Like

Oh Maree has all manner of things in her house, mark my words…

quietly moves Maree’s roomba off to the side

Totally agree. It’s nonsense. Dangerous? Not even the dog bothered it.

1 Like

cleaning houses why???..

… … and we have a noo-noo :+1:

I had to google ‘Roomba’, never heard of it.
Is it American?

Why do companies waste so much time and money on unecessary stuff that the majority of housewives don’t even want? They must have money to burn.

1 Like

Fair enough. If it was just this one thing, it may not be such a big deal. It has been said that the main plan is to create houses that are integrated with Amazon devices that then help people run their lives.

Amazon bought Whole Foods to start delivering food to people. One of the ideas was to have smart refrigerators to detect when people were running low on food that would automatically be delivered.

To make delivery easier, they offered Amazon Key.

With Amazon Key, Amazon would change the lock on your door to allow Amazon people in to deliver stuff. They would need security cameras that would be installed to make sure the Amazon people didn’t do anything in the house you didn’t want. That gives them camera access to inside people’s houses.

Then there’s Amazon Ring that records what happens outside your door It partners with police and can notify them without the owner’s consent. There were also a bunch of them recalled due to fire hazard.

Then Roomba, a device that can detect the layout and size of your house. That can help determine what a house of that size needs. (But unfortunately can also be used for other purposes)

Then there’s Alexa that can coordinate these activities with the small downside that it can also detect and transmit your conversations.

Put together, there’s a bunch of privacy invasions that can add up. As long as the customer is aware of how much privacy they’re giving up, it’s up to them. But not everyone realizes how much privacy they’re giving up.

Yes, it’s an American company, as is Amazon.

From Amazon UK:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/iRobot-R692-Robotic-Vacuum-Cleaner/dp/B088KBQ4PV/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=roomba&qid=1660037864&sr=8-3

I think it’s because cats like riding on them

1 Like

That was funny! I liked the clip towards the end when the Siamese(?) casually swiped the dog in passing, then proceeded to wash itself. :joy:

1 Like