All new cars to have speed limiters from 2022

Self drive

Assuming we have cars at all by then, the way things are going
the cars wont resemble present cars at all
they will all be electric, their speed controlled by the road,their

safe distance controlled by the vehicle,their directions controlled
by satnav
They wont have steering wheels at all,
All the above will be controlled by the bloody EU.

Best  regards.       Donkeyman.

Satellites whirring around in space are very sensitive to outside influences i.e. sunspot activity and magnetic waves, there will be a hell of a mess on the roads when the big pulse comes and knocks them all out
:shock:

Satellites have only been in operation for a short time (about the sixties I think) so have not experienced all that the sun has to offer yet

Sunspots

I  never thought of that  OGF, l cant wait to see that happen!
What about all the other satellite dependant crap we are becoming
reliant upon,  should get very interesting when the universe
strikes back.

Best   Regards,     Donkeyman.

I posted about this several months ago, I would imagine that this is the very early stages of trialing technology for the eventual introduction of totally autonomous cars, we already have speed limiters and traffic recognition ( my car has these) Volvo have semi driverless cars on the road today, albeit in very limited form, one of the problems is, for instance, my car will recognise the speed limit sign at say 30mph, but it can pass a side street that is a 20 mph limit, which it will also recognise, so it thinks I should be doing 20, now imagine this at 70mph, and you run alongside a 40 road, will the car suddenly slow down to 40?, perhaps not, of course it will also have a “ black box “ fitted, with gps so it should know where the car is in relation to the road and speed, but we all know what computers are like
the system will be initially be able to be overridden by the driver, Of course it’s being introduced to cut road fatalities,which is a good thing, but it has a long way to go before it will be completely reliable

That will end GT badged cars and special upgraded models

What they should develop is a huge hologram hand pointing down at any car that’s speeding and a big booming voice saying, “Hey you there! Slow down!”

@Primus1

“Of course it’s being introduced to cut road fatalities”

Or increase EU control and reduce personal freedoms.

It will be adopted by the UK, when we leave the EU

I think the idea is good, though I’d expect emergency vehicles to be exempt.

I’m sure that problems would become apparent, though:

Older cars would not be speed restricted, though I suppose the devices could be retrofitted - at cost to the owner, of course.

Criminals could remove or disable these limiting devices.

I wonder how much that would cost for a 1984 sports car with a Ford V6 2.8 engine and no electronics? Probably ten times or more what the car is actually worth! :shock: :shock:

Our wonderful government fails to foresee such hidden consequences.
Look at HS2!

According to this article the limiter thingy may not even be safe to use.

:023:

Assuming there is an audible bleep or a dashboard light that appears whilst all this stuff is going on, it makes me wonder if we will have time to actually drive the car without worrying about it.

After driving an ‘ordinary mechanical car’ and then buying a ‘computer on wheels’ I really do wonder how on earth learner and novice drivers cope with all this computerisation added to driving the car.

Most of us who have been driving many years often do so as a ‘habit’, we are so used to driving. Learning to drive is a totally new experience, with the new technology too it must be a real nightmare to absorb all that is required, I would have thought!

Nah I think the young will adapt to the new technology, they’re starting so young with computers nowadays it will come easily to them

Predicted this a few years back, wont be long before folks are sticking masking tape over the in-dash camera.:lol::lol::lol:

The thing is these systems will be linked to gps, how long before they’re used for pay per mile driving?

This would be a good thing only and I mean only if it means they get rid of the dratted speed bumps

Large trucks/buses here have 100kph speed limiters and I have driven a few in the past (not sure of the exact law off hand). The accelerator bangs at your foot if you exceed the limit (eg going downhill) but they don’t seem to cause the drivers problems. The old furphy of “I need to be able to accelerate out of trouble” doesn’t get mentioned much these days.

Limiters have been tampered with in the past for example by removing a magnet from the drive shaft but the authorities are wise to that and check (that might be old technology now) however I cannot see any state government being brave enough to interfere in the sacred rights of the holy car owner by attaching limiters to cars here.

And what about all this touch screen technology in cars now. We are fined for using a phone yet we can happily scroll through a menu on the dash. :shock: