Air Fryers: recommendations

I’ve been using air fryers for well over six years and still think they’re the best kitchen invention ever. I bought a Tower 5.5 litre air fryer when I was having a new kitchen extension built so I could cook things in the living room. I was instantly converted and even when the kitchen was finished I still used the air fryer and haven’t even used the brand new oven.
I was so impressed I started to buy air fryers from auction and sell them online and so I’ve become pretty good at repairing them.
I’ve worked on a few different brands and they’re all pretty similar. If I were to buy one tomorrow I’d go for a brand called Princess, the electrical components inside the machine are much better than others I’ve worked on. Also I wouldn’t buy anything smaller than a 5.2 litre capacity. You’ll soon wish you bought a bigger one if you do. As somebody mentioned earlier, the ones with a draw to cook the food in are much easier to clean as everything can go in the dishwasher if needed. (The food cooks in the draw so grease doesn’t contaminate the inside of the machine)
I cook everything in mine from a fish finger to a leg of lamb (but I do have to saw the end of the bone off to fit it in.) Anything that you’d usually cook under the grill, in a frying pan or in the oven can go in the air fryer. These things are a total game changer, I’d highly recommend getting one. :sunglasses::+1:

1 Like

We’ve got one of those mini ovens too d00d, they really are useful on a number of levels.

Air fryers really are great for making homemade chips, potato wedges, savoury skins etc.

Great for savoury chicken drumsticks, wings etc too ,
not to mention sausages!

1 Like

Just a tip if you’re going to make chips from a potato (as opposed to frozen chips)
Cut the chips and then rinse them to remove the starch (the starch browns far too quickly for my liking) then microwave them until they’re fully cooked through. (Between 5 and 10 minutes depending on how many you have)
When they’re cooked spray them with oil and cook them in the air fryer to your liking. They have a nice fluffy texture inside when you cook them like this. More like a chippy chip but without all the fat. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Thanks for the tip about the starch. I always boil or steam chips first. That makes them nice and fluffy inside.

Thanks @Mad-Ralph and @AnnieS for your input.

Re the chips, I read something interesting: put them into boiling water, remove from heat when cooked on the outside but not the middle, dry, airfry.

If I was boiling potatoes, I’d start them off in a pan of cold water. I guess this method allows the outside to absorb some oil (?)

Mrs d00d says you’re better off buying from a local takeaway!

Mrs d00d sounds very sensible

1 Like

If you get on well with that, you’d like my type of air fryer, it’s very much like cooking with one of those, only a fan version so faster

Air fried chips are much healthier because they don’t contain all the oil that soaks into them during the deep fat frying process. I do agree that chippy chips are delicious though, I just can’t eat them due to VERY high cholesterol levels. :weary:

I’ve tried this a couple of times but I always seem to boil them too much and they fall apart :weary: I will give it another try though, thanks for the tip. :+1:

I’m thinking of getting some duck fat, making the world best roast potatoes. :astonished:

in my little oven.

I like the idea of pulling out the drawer …

but I’m still unsure. :neutral_face:

Even before I found out about my cholesterol problem I was never a fan of duck fat. It was beef dripping all the way for me. :drooling_face:

Duck fat is the low cholesterol beef fat.

Recognised as the very best for roasters.

:astonished: Wow really? I never knew that.

I have had one for a few years now. It is an el cheapo Sunbeam cost less than $100 so when the basket get too burn’t/dirty it can be chucked and a new one bought.

It probably gets used once a week, because of its bulk I keep it in the laundry. great for cooking frozen fish, chips, calamari, fish fingers, pizza slices and the like. Sausages, chops etc it does well. The only real failure is onion - have never successfully cooked onions in it.

I like it but would not rave about it, I have a BBQ just outside the back door which does the same job better but the air fryer is quick and easy to use.

In combination with a microwave it is very good, pies, sausage rolls, pasties heated in the microwave, then bunged in the air fryer for a minute or two to crisp up the pastry. Even baked potatoes, 8 minutes in the microwave and half an hour in the air fryer saves 20 minutes cooking time.

1 Like

I agree with what Boot said, all air fryer baskets aren’t created equal. The ones with the base plates are hard work because you have to lift the food out with tongues (ok if it’s one or two items but it’s a bit of a pain with things like chips) you can’t tip the food out like you can with a basket because you tip all the grease from the drip tray on your plate. The basket on the other hand lifts out and leaves all the grease in the drip tray.

2 Likes

that’s so true. I used to always use goose fat as I had read that was the best. This year there doesn’t seem to be much around so I tried duck - absolute perfection!

1 Like

I usually use foil to line the tin and lift that out or I remove the base and it has worked just fine without it. You can apparently put metal containers in but I haven’t been brave enough except for the foil. I was thinking of baking a cake in its tin but again bravery is needed…:slight_smile:

(hoping Maree can advise on using containers in the draw :pray:)

In my drawer type one, I use all manner of things to hold food. A round metal dish, round foil tray, paper inserts, and a silicone insert.

1 Like

To make cleaning a breeze I lift the basket out and put a sheet or two of kitchen roll in the drip tray then put the basket back in. It soaks up all the grease and because the fryer only reaches 200 degrees there’s no chance of it catching fire. Just change the kitchen roll after ever use and wash the basket and tray as needed.

2 Likes