AI space companions for astronauts

When William Shatner went into space in 2021, he said he expected to feel an “ultimate catharsis,” but instead was rocked by an intense sorrow.

1 Like

Interesting article. If AI could help astronauts, why not other people?

On the other hand, AI is not up to the task at the moment, imo. But the technology is moving fast, so maybe it will be ready by the time it’s needed.

Spooky eyes. :expressionless:

1 Like

Mental health will be off the radar, so let’s hope so. :face_with_spiral_eyes:

1 Like

Yes! Why not the elderly or people who otherwise live alone and need companionship?

My son has a set of outstanding virtual reality headsets, and we marvel at the sense it gives you of being somewhere else. We talked then about how wonderful it would be to be in a virtual space with a family member or pet who had passed away, and that people would be willing to pay quite a bit for that experience. The problem is that the viewers are too bulky. Perhaps AI will take this a step further. Who knows!

1 Like

Alexa can be touchy, communicating but sometimes ignoring me completely.

1 Like

So just like people then? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I don’t have Alexa, but I see people comparing Alexa with LLMs all the time. Are they really the same?

Just looked it up. Amazon plans to add generative AI in 2024 with a subscription fee. Right now, Alexa is like a talking clock and weather machine. It’s like people are talking to their talking clock and expecting it to respond like an LLM with generative AI. I can see the disappointment, but it’s confusing when I see it all the time.

Lucy in the sky with diamonds?

1 Like