Adele gets Spotify to take shuffle button off all album pages

The singer tweeted: "We don’t create albums with so much care and thought into our track listing for no reason.

“Our art tells a story and our stories should be listened to as we intended. Thank you Spotify for listening.”

The streaming service replied “anything for you” and took away the option for listeners to mix up the order music is played from album pages.

However, the shuffle symbol - two intersecting arrows - still appears on individual album tracks.

This means it is still possible to start listening to albums on any track and opt for songs to be played in a random order.

The shuffle button also still appears on playlists. The BBC has asked Spotify for a comment.

Adele’s 30 - her first album in six years - was available on Spotify from its release on Friday.

This marked a change from her last album - 25 - which could only be bought physically or downloaded when it was released in November 2015.

It became the fastest-selling album in British history, shifting more than 800,000 copies in its first week.

It was not until June 2016 that it was made available on streaming sites such as Spotify, Apple Music and Tidal.

Several thoughts struck me:

Is this a forlorn hope? Surely, for most popular music listeners, the days of playing artistes’ albums in their entirety are over - most listeners don’t have the attention span.

Is it closing the barn door after the horse has bolted? Once music is “out there” (on whatever media) listeners can do with it as they please.

Is the album “art” … or is the “artiste” being precious and pretentious?

1 Like

It’s an Adele news story … keeping her in the stoplight.

I bet millions of fans will now listen to the album as intended.
:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

5 Likes

I won’t be one of them, just can’t like her voice.

4 Likes

I think she is very over-rated.

5 Likes

I think the album is art…and means something for the artist.

But they lose the right to actually advise us how to listen to it, once its out there. Its open to interpretation by us, according to our preferences and connection to the music.

I don’t like every single song on every single album anyway :woman_shrugging:

4 Likes

Just a publicity stunt and her being precious, I’d say.

She should be pleased people like her music enough to buy and listen to it.

Where does she think she gets off, telling her fans what to do?

4 Likes

She clearly has a high opinion of herself, Maree, that’s for sure. I understand that she may have a story to tell, and by listening to each song, the story might reveal itself…but…I’m not that fascinated enough by her to want to know really.

Sorry to be blunt, Adele, but y’know…:woman_shrugging: Put that shuffle back on, would ya? :smiley:

2 Likes

I have the same opinion … :+1:

1 Like

Exactly. We’ve all got a story to tell but that doesn’t mean anyone else has to listen :rofl:

Especially not in the order we dictate they should.

She’s so up herself, get over yerself, girl!

2 Likes

Yes … her self-promotion over the years seems to have been very skilled.

1 Like

Well said … :clap:

1 Like

An Adele interview with an Australian tv network was pulled by Sony after the interviewer admitted he hadn’t listened to her latest album.
(Matt Doran: Australian TV host sorry for bungle that sank Adele interview - BBC News)

Very. Besides, no one is going to dictate how I listen to music. If she doesn’t like me skipping around she can pizz off. :dizzy_face: :dizzy_face: :dizzy_face:

2 Likes