Aberfan Disaster

I was 16 at the time and remember it well, A guy I was at college with was in a caving club and they went to help

I would have been 14, I remember it well, our headmaster suggested we wear black armbands to school. I donā€™t remember feeling much, it was just another disaster, like you see on the TV news. I guess the real horror and tragedy hit me later. I was pleased to see The Crown (TV prog) dealt with it well.

The letter made me cry Megā€¦I cant imagine the horror of that day.

1 Like

@summer ā€¦me to Summer the pictures it conjures up in the mind are dreadfulā€¦ :icon_sad:

2 Likes

Oh Meg that letter is heartbreaking isnt it .

2 Likes

At long last, someone beside me has sussed out the real root of the problem ā€¦YAY!!!:+1:

We talk about mental illness so much these days, but when you think about how the Aberfan community suffered, & how little we knew about the psychological effects of disasters like this, it makes you realize how bad this was!
I can remember crying when watching the news over the next few days, and not wanting my younger sister to go to school ( even though there was no risk at all at her school, or mine).
A year or so later my friend John , who helped them dig for bodies, asked us all not to talk about it when he was there! :cry:

3 Likes

Out there is a little forget-me-not blue book of poems about Aberfan. Children were invited to contribute and the proceeds from sale of books went to the people of Aberfan. i contributed and had my poem published and still have the book.

1 Like

Nice one. :slight_smile:

Abefan is the first news story I can remember being aware of on the tv as a child

It made an impression on me.

I just couldnā€™t understand why the grown ups had let it happen and didnā€™t stop it. And that was how I realised that sometimes they couldnā€™t and that they couldnā€™t always protect us and that bad things could happen