Aaaarrgggh! No Internet

My broadband went down this afternoon…for three hours.
BT fixed it quickly though-wasn’t just me down.
Which made me realise how addicted I am to it!
And what am I going to do now?
Return to my NFL game pass…was in mid full game replay( with no ads) when it went off.
Technology is wonderful when it works.
And since I have VOIP my landline didn’t work either.
Lucky I have a cheapo mobile that I was able to contact BT on.

3 Likes

Can’t beat getting involved with a good paperback, turning pages and all that :wink:

2 Likes

Darned right, there. I hate being without something to read.

3 Likes

Depending on the functions and facilities available on your mobile, you can use your phone’s mobile data to connect your computer to the internet.

Share a mobile connection by hotspot or tethering on Android - Android Help.

Not mine you can’t.
It cost me £9 and only does calls and texts😀

1 Like

we need classes on here - up for it Omah?? - bruce 'll help too!

1 Like

I’m awake in the early hours watching the Packers and it went down again!
Fortunately I have Sky Sports……
but it came back in about 15 minutes.
But my rugby team have an away game on Thursday.
It’s on S4Cs online services.
I’m starting to think I need to go it!

My first mobile phone was this one:

It was £8.99 back then and still available at that price now … :+1:

1 Like

Looks like mine -except it is a Samsung

1 Like

My first mobile was one of these. I thought it was well cool and used to wear it on my belt!

I think it was at the beginning of the year 2000 when all of a sudden mobile phones became very accessible and affordable. Almost everyone seemed to have one , topped mine up as and when with a £10 Orange voucher I think.

1 Like

I’ve been preparing for an internet outage for a while now.

I bought a tablet with a DVD player combo. If the internet goes down, the DVD player might come in handy.

I’m researching hot spots on my phone. I have an old MP3 player that I’ve been loading audiobooks and meditations on to. I’ve also been looking for games, meditations, books and audiobooks that download. Fortunately, my online library automatically downloads all the books and audiobooks that I borrow. The downside is that it takes a lot of space, so a microsd card comes in handy for that.

I’ve also been downloading some things from Netflix in case I can’t stream stuff live.

My internet goes down pretty regularly for maintenance. It goes back up but sometimes takes a boot.

1 Like

just finished dads army in its entirety for 3 rd time- might start again for xmas !! - that was how to enjoy life - very few phones - and no dvd’s mobiles or only possibly a reel to reel recorder maybe if that - radios only but lovely sunsets!! - oh but we did have fillums!! with ya neighbours often

2 Likes

That was a really well timed topic Furryanimal.
I was considering starting a thread myself about the vagaries of the internet, but by the time I’ve figured out a correct description and tag, I’ve lost the will to live. It’s not spontaneous anymore, so I’ll piggy back on yours if I may…
I realised that we all need the internet now, it’s the life blood of the modern world, and most of us are connected to it 24/7 we take it everywhere we go on our smartphones, it’s on our TV’s and it’s on all our laptops and desktops…It even runs some peoples houses adjusting the heating, turning on/off lights, seeing who’s at the door. And there’s a bloke up our street who can start his car and check the mileage or fuel level while sitting in his armchair.
But what if it goes off?
No money from the ATM or fuel from the pay-at-the-pump, in fact no card use at all!..No TV or video calls to friends and family, and no forum!
:open_mouth:
To name but a few annoyances…
I’ve largely remained total internet free so far…No smartphone, TV still comes through an ariel on the chimney, and I always have a supply of cash (remember that stuff?) tucked away in a drawer (although sovereigns and farthings might not be legal tender now) I still get the internet on this laptop, but after a couple of hours in the morning chatting to you good people and the occasional visit to my bank account (to make sure the bank is singing from the same song sheet as me) I disconnect and am once again living in the real world, walking in nature and talking to people.
So just be prepared for the big switch off because as sure as ‘eggs is eggs’ it will happen…
Off out on me bike now while it’s fine…

1 Like

This was just recommend to me in my ‘new music’ list on Apple Music and I thought of you and this thread Chris, haha!

2 Likes

You could say this about anything electrical or mechanical too. The power grid could shut down. And gas shortages could stop transportation.

Unless everyone is willing to literally sit in their house, grow their own food and entertain themselves, there’s always a chance that things can get shut down.

For a while, it sounded fun to live off the grid. Hearing stories from people who have done it makes it sound more like the drudgery it really probably is. It’s easy to romanticize something you don’t have to live.

1 Like

:sweat_smile:
Fortunately I remained connected during my rugby teams away game last night😀

1 Like

But that would be an easy fix, and the power to replace or repair is in your hands
butterscotch…National grid power cuts can be worked round using solar panels and batteries, but… If the internet goes down you are virtually dead in the water…Never in human history have so many relied on such a tenuous grasp of technology…The bulk of which have absolutely no idea how the whole thing works…

1 Like

This doesn’t make a lick of sense to me but since it’s getting off topic, I’ll leave you to it.

Edit: I started a thread on a possible related topic.

1 Like